1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Review: Accu-Gage H Series Tire Gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bps, Sep 18, 2009.

1. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After reading about the Accu-gage in this thread here, I decided to give this air pressure gauge a try. Since many PC members have had great success with www.getagauge.com, I went to their website to order the gauge.

As it turns out, there are many choices. I liked the idea of the EZ-Air Tire Gauge, but a few PC members had reported a tight fit, making it difficult to seal and/or scratching the plastic wheel cover. Because of this, I decided to purchase an Accu-Gage H Series with a straight chuck, 60 PSI gauge, and a rubber gauge guard. I also ordered a Chek-a-Spare extender after hearing about it from TKY and Jay_Man2.

I thought it would be worth mentioning that Accu-Gage says a gauge is most accurate in the middle-range of the gauge's span. For example, if the PSI you normally check is around 30 PSI, then the 60 PSI gauge would work best. They also say that you must be very careful not to exceed the gauge's rating or damage may occur. Since the 2010 Prius spare should be inflated to 60 PSI, I debated whether I should go with the 60 PSI or 100 PSI gauge. In the end, I felt like I could get a better reading with the 60 PSI face during every day use, so that is the one I chose. You can read more about it here.

Ordering at Get A Gauge's website was very easy and they provided fast delivery. My gauge was packed nicely and was well-protected. I would absolutely do business with them again.

The first thing I noticed about this gauge is that it is well built. The straight chuck is very easy to use and there is absolutely no interference with the plastic wheel cover. Without a doubt, this chuck is the way to go for tight spaces that require a straight-on approach.

[​IMG]

The 60 PSI face on the H-series Gauge is very easy to read. Dialing in your pressure is made even easier by the release valve just above the gauge. It lets air out slowly, so you don't have to worry about overshooting your preferred pressure and having to add air again.

[​IMG]

Next I installed the Chek-a-Spare extender. This extension is worth its weight in gold -- now I can check the air pressure without having to take the spare tire out of the car. It's a huge timesaver!

[​IMG]

I'm very pleased with the choices I made and I highly recommend these products! If I can answer any questions for you, please let me know.

Bryan

7 people like this.
  2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice review. You can run the chek-a-spare extender out under the cargo box over to the left rear side where there's that triangular panel you can pull up. That makes it very easy to reach that valve, without a lot of fuss.

3. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got mine this week and used it for the first time today. Definitely very well made.

4. Bill075

Bill075 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very good review...I'm in for one.

5. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Going there to order mine now...nice review, thanks!

(Ordered...along with spare extender, rubber guard and storage case. I made sure in the "comments" section to add that they're getting great reviews on PriusChat.com.)

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been using the Accu-Gage H series swivel angle for years, and also installed the spare checker hose, and have the end under the driver's side storage panel (where I keep the gauge so it's easily accessed). Very well made products, not expensive, and last a long time.

7. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ordered mine based on the recommendations here on PriusChat, and it arrived last night. Appears very well-made and gave consistent readings. Also ordered the spare tire extender, but have not installed it yet.

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered mine also after read bps's review. The shipping was quick, and I received it in about 4 business days. I passed on the extended for the spare.
    I quickly tested the unit. I has a nice weight to it and felt very sturdy. Very simple and efficiency. The nozzle sealed perfectly without any air leakage... I actually found out my tires are under-inflated! I don't have an air compressor so I'm hoping to find a gas station not too far from my house in the morning to inflate my tires to the "proper" psi.
    Overall, great product. Thanks bps for the recommendation!

9. Crazytwoknobs

Crazytwoknobs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got mine a few days ago, and used it for the first time today. Here's a list of awesome stuff about it:

It "stores" the reading on the dial until you push the little button to let the pressure out. This lets you take the gauge away from the tire/disconnect the tube from the valve stem in order to look at the reading if you'd like.

It only takes a little puff of air to take a reading.

It's the easiest to use gauge I've ever used. Doesn't wobble around on the stem and leak everywhere.

It's more accurate and easier to read than I thought.

Bleeding air out of the tire with the button on the gauge is easy and fast.

It totally takes the hassle out of checking your tires.

Totally recommended.

10. losthighway

losthighway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was all set to order through getaguage.com when I noticed they don't appear to secure your CC information via SSL and HTTPS. Just a heads-up, paranoids like myself might want to order offline.