1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Review of Web Service "Tom's Key"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Jun 16, 2024 at 6:04 PM.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Somewhere in Las Vegas there's a rental car with the key fob to my Gen 3 Prius under the driver's seat. The pockets in my favorite walking shorts are too shallow.

Knowing the risk of losing both Prius key fobs, I got serious about replacing the lost key. Local Toyota dealers want north of $300 for a replacement key fob and the service to pair with the vehicle.

I've replaced several lost key fobs to my Gen 2 Priuses by learning how to do the "chicken dance", a complicated series of motions like opening the driver's door x times, unlocking the door locks y times, etc. However, I was told that Toyota engineering squelched chicken dance pairing for Gen 3 vehicles and now require their Techstream diagnostic tool to accomplish pairing on vehicles newer than 2009s.

There are bootleg programming tools on EBay that claim to be able to pair a virgin Gen 3 Toyota keyfob with the vehicle, but it's not clear whether these programmers will do the "smart" version of the key fob that starts the engine with the fob still in your pocket.

I've also heard that poorly-designed bootleg programmers have the ability to brick the key fob system in the vehicle entirely.

Which brings me to the topic of this post: Tom's Key Company, a Salt Lake City based online seller of Gen 3 key fob clones and the tools to pair them with the vehicle. They also sell fobs for other Toyota vehicles and non-Toyota vehicles.

I have no connection to Tom's Key whatsoever. This is an arm's length review of their service.

Appearance-wise their Prius key fob is an exact copy of my 2010's factory key fob. The "blank" (i.e. never used) key fob costs $128 in July 2024. The fob comes with a blank metal key at that price but for an additional $60 Tom's will send a metal key machined to fit your vehicle. They do this using images of the factory metal key that you e-mail to them.

I doubted that a key machined from a photo would work without jiggling it in the vehicle's door lock, but mine worked fine.

For those who say "I can get a key cut locally for $5 at the hardware store" keep in mind that Gen 3 vehicles have a slot, not an edge to cut. It's rare to find someone locally who can cut slotted keys.

upload_2024-6-16_16-17-32.jpeg

To program a Tom's Key replacement fob I rented their OBDII programming tool that looks like this:

upload_2024-6-16_16-34-29.jpeg

The OBDII dongle comes with a cheap Asian smart phone based on Android Go (BLU Advance L5) that some would call a burner phone due to its lack of features. This is easily the slowest smart phone I ever met.

The smart phone in the kit talks to the OBDII module via Bluetooth and serves as the module's screen and keyboard. The OBDII module and burner the phone are numerically paired to each other and cannot be separated. The smart phone cannot be used for anything other than programming key fobs. All other Android functionality in the phone has been disabled by Tom's Key.

In July 2024 the rental cost of Tom's Key programming hardware is $70 plus a refundable $90 security deposit. The programming kit comes with a prepaid USPS shipping label to return the programmer to Salt Lake City.

There are no provisions for downloading Tom's Key's programming app to your own Android phone and no way to purchase their OBDII dongle. This is an inseparable programming kit only available on a rental basis from Tom's Key.

This is the custom Android app that Tom's Key wrote:

upload_2024-6-16_16-49-46.jpeg

The programmer's smart phone begins by interrogating the vehicle via the OBDII dongle to determine the kind of electronic key system the vehicle supports. The app has a screen where it asks if you wish to erase the vehicle's list of paired keys, and thereafter reload them into vehicle memory. This implies that the tool will also work with stock Toyota key fobs, not just Tom's Key fobs.

For obvious reasons I chose to not erase the vehicle's list of existing keys, but if you have a former spouse or owner you'd like to block from using a key fob they kept, this erase feature might be worth the risk.

Tom's Key's Android app is not without its problems. Most of the app screens are text mode when an image might be helpful. The app's self-learn feature concluded I have a "prox5" vehicle, but one screen implied that only 2016 and newer Priuses have prox5 compatible keys. I ignored this inconsistency and the new key programmed OK anyway.

The app crashed a bit at the point where it wanted the sensing antenna behind the Prius's start button to "taste" my Toyota factory key, but I rebooted the app and this problem self-corrected.

And the folks at Tom's Key might have a better website if they used AI a bit less pre-sale. I typed "please have a real person contact me!" several times in the chat window as I arranged my purchase, but in the end it all worked out.

I'm generally pleased with this purchase and the price I paid for it. Before I send the programmer back to Tom's I intend to program another blank key I purchased from them.

#1 jimolson, Jun 16, 2024 at 6:04 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024 at 7:54 PM
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, you're from the future? This is "June", not July.... :whistle:(y)

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Best post ever. (the OP, not Dogman)

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And what does this cost if you use a locksmith service that does transponder keys and all that kind of stuff I haven't even checked yet I used to have a guy that did all this all lock and key in Maine He's dead He could make a transponder key for me like one of the guys here has for his generation too You can stick it in the slot upside down the head of it and it'll boot the car up anyway I just think the key machine and the transponder cloning machine is a pretty common item for the locksmith of today at least my guy in Maine said there should be people around you that have this machine I think it's called the DB9 or something like that I've seen what it looks like but I don't own one and it does all this transponder cloning which is what the SKS and the Gen 3 basically are transponder type keys and as far as the side cutting goes yeah that's done someone else posted here and I've seen other places where you can send pictures of the key and they make it by the picture and they work and usually I thought it was about $20 or something along those lines 60 seems a bit high but the the cost add up for some reason

5. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Tom, I had some left over commas and periods from my lengthy post. I'll leave them here for your use.:)
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ...................................................................................................