1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Review: Revier JDM projector fog lamp with CCFL ring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 32kcolors, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am reviewing Revier projector fog lamps with CCFL ring, which are currently in testing mode. Depending on interest, Panson may do bulk import and a group buy. According to Revier, the projector comes in two inner colors (chrome and smoked) with either white or blue CCFL ring. I believe I was sent chrome inner color and white CCFL ring (blue is illegal in the United States so can’t have that anyway). The CCFL ring serves as a DRL. Unlike the 3rd brake lamp, Revier didn’t skimp on the build quality of the projector lamps. No flaw to be seen anywhere. In fact, they’re a bit heavier than the stock Five fog lamps. They fit all 2010+ Prius with fog housings (OEM or kit), including the 2012 Five.

Unboxing
    [​IMG]

Revier lamp next to stock Five fog lamp (the stock fog has the blue-tipped PIAA Xtreme White bulb)
    [​IMG]

Installed along with Revier LED corner lamp. Fit was perfect just like stock Five fog lamp.
    [​IMG]

CCFL ring
    [​IMG]

The colors are inaccurate as they're artifacts of the camera (not green like in the photo). They're actually the same color and match the cruising/running light of the turn signal mirrors (which many of you have) very well. This combo looks ultra cool compared to factory fog.
    [​IMG]

If you enjoy the extra illumination provided by the cruising and puddle lights from turn signal mirrors, you get the same thing in front of you with the DRLs on (in a darkened garage; headlights are off).
    [​IMG]

I have just one side installed at this time so I can do some side-by-side shots. No photos of projector fog yet as I still need to adjust the beam aim first. More pics forthcoming. Let me know if you have any special requests for pics/videos while I still have the factory fog on the passenger side.

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I waiting to see the performance of the projector. Are u planning to run halogen bulbs or go with a 3k HID bulb or a 5k to match ur LED headlights?

3. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i concur. there should be a nokya vs revier showdown.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's already the same color as the CCFL ring.

I knew I'd hear from the Nokya guys :) The Nokya is now crazy expensive at $370. The Revier projector retails for the same as the corner lamps, so based on the last group buy, it'd be $130-150. The CCFL ring is totally worth it just for the look.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @ $130, I might even be interested... keep us posted on the build quality. Is the lens DOT/SAE glass?

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, has "SAE F00 KBS 88-038R/L" stamped on front.

spiderman likes this.
  7. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1 for the nokya, the price increase is insane though ><

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to see the cutoffs on the projector fogs. The cutoff on the OEM reflectors are crap.

Edit: Also, what is involved with the wiring. I pretty much understand what's involved with the standard projector wiring, but what about the CCFL ring? Is that just wired to a hot wire in Ready Mode? Is there a separate dash switch for the CCFLs?

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the CCFL ring has a red and a black wire just like the Revier DRL corner lamp so you can wire it however you like. If you want a separate switch that turns DRL off when you activate the headlights you can get the module El Niño has.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. It would also be easy to wire in a relay to cut power to the CCFL wire when the headlights are on.

Bah, I really like the look of these and the idea of having the CCFL DRLs, but I absolutely hate H1 and H3 bulbs and their archaic mounting/grounding system. Much prefer the H11 type mount and plug.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd be down. :D

12. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you want your drls to always stay on but dim 40% when you turn on your headlights, let me know, I have a drl module for sale, the same one El Nino is using right now

thanks

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    32kcolors, are the CCFLs bright enough to be easily seen in bright daytime sunlight? I want to use them as DRLs, also, CCFLs run much cooler than halogens, right?

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took photos but left my cable at home so I'll update this post with photos later. Yes, they can easily been seen from a distance under direct sunlight. The Revier corner lamp DRLs are a bit brighter when viewed head on; however, the biggest advantage the CCRLs have over the corner lamp DRLs is they're still visible at extreme angles (much like wide viewing angle of the Valenti LED bars). So when you can no longer see the corner lamp DRLs the CCRLs are still visible. It's an excellent complement to the more directional corner lamp DRLs if daytime driving light as a safety feature is important to you.

Update: Photos added.

DRL side is more visible compared to non-DRL side with sun overhead and glare coming from behind
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At angles where you can no longer see the corner lamp DRLs, a portion of the CCFL DRL is still visible. This is more obvious from a distance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

xliderider likes this.
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Made a wallpaper (I'm big on wallpapers)

[​IMG]

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, looking forward to seeing the pictures. :)

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, made a typo. I didn't realize until I read your post that I was thinking of the more similar looking H9 bulb. Will double check when I get off work but it's definitely a mount and plug.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking at similar kits on eBay for the Yaris, it seems the H3 bulb is mounted internally, with a more conventional H11 type plug coming out of the housing for plug and play compatibility with our Prius' H11 socket on our harness.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure whether CCFLs can be dimmed though, they're not like halogens and LEDs. Being fluorescent, they won't light if they don't receive enough current.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The supplied Revier 21-SMD LED bulb does fit the factory fog housing so my guess is it's a H11. I cannot be absolutely sure (as I've read that H11 bulbs are compatible with H8 and H9 housings) because it doesn't say anywhere as to what bulb type it takes.