1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reving the Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Newbie here .. with a silly question: How do I rev the engine at a moderate RPM?

I have noticed when I am in neutral pressing the accelerator has no effect. The engine does not run.

In park, if I press the accelerator, the engine will start but it will only run at set RPM. I cannot rev the engine.

Why would I want to rev the engine you ask? Well, today in the New York area we had some really heavy rains. I checked this forum to see how a Prius would perform if forced to drive over a flooded road. Some posters suggested running with only battery power. However, this might introduce some water into the exhaust or air intakes. So reving the engine would be a good way to blow any water out of the exhaust.

So the question is: Is there a way to rev the engine above idle speed?

Thanks, Marvin

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think a better question is, "Why would you drive through water high enough to get into your exhaust or air intake?" Revving would suck water into the intake. The ICE will run if the catalytic converter in the exhaust system cools. You lose traction when your car starts to float.

If the roads are flooded, stay off them.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I think that's a good question - after all, it's common advice that if you DO have to drive through flood water (and there are times when it may be necessary) you should drop down a gear and ensure the engine revs stay high to help prevent the ingress of water into the exhaust. Easy on a manual or auto, but no clear way to achieve it on a CVT, let alone the Prius type hybrid where the system is trying to run the engine as little as possible and at the lowest revs.

So what's the answer for those situations where you absolutely can't avoid a flooded area?

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 19 2007, 07:18 AM) [snapback]481504[/snapback]</div>
    The answer is, stay out of flooded areas.

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its impossible to rev the engine in a Prius.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is possible to "rev" the engine by pulsing the gas pedal while stopped. I had to do this to pass smog inspection in Nevada. (which doesn't require smog for new Prius, but since moved from California, I had to have the test. A little retarded, ut at least the guy at the test center knew how to get the ICE to "idle, and that it naturally did not idle.

7. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jul 19 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]481615[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but I found the engine will only run at a set LOW RPM. Does the engine rev any higher?

Thanks, Marvin

8. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Wouldn't shifting into mode engage the ICE constantly? It wouldn't "Rev", but it would be running.

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats not really reving it, thats just power-braking.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is very clear if you understand the "Engine Speed Operating Area".
    Following chart is for NHW-10 original Prius, but the basic is the same as NHW-11 and NHW-20.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you want to "rev" the engine, you must be moving. Just depress the accelerator a lot when taking off. The engine will rev. very nicely. If you are driving in water, it is not necessary to keep the water out of the exhaust. Out of the intake for sure. Water in the intake will destroy the engine on any car. Water doesn't compress (at least not very much). It will cause the pistons to break or the connecting rods, or the crankshaft, or all of the above. NOT GOOD!

12. thfrancis

thfrancis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey man, what do you mean I can't rev the engine? How am I going to peel out and impress the dudes in the 'hood. :p