1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reworking airplane web page

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After getting my plans and charts digitized, I reworked the whole of my N19WT web site to accomplish:
    • consistent web directory structure - using a Macintosh master to make a tar file with a public available copy
    • iPad sync - photos are shared using iTunes as 'albums' needed to find relevant materials
    • structuring major mods - engine replacement, landing gear, and cabin
    It is a 'work in progress' but it is moving from a 'log', a chronology of events, to something specific to each major tasks. One major accomplishment is replacing the digitized, chart, loaded into PowerPoint with a traced, PowerPoint vectors. True to scale, the size of the PowerPoint chart shrunk by about a factor of five.

Also, I'm creating the first electronic table of contents with the 'errata' text for the drawings. Going from paper-to-electronic works. Now if I can just find:
    • OCR program that takes jpg and generates text - getting the manual from image to text will make a substantial reduction in volume but also allow the 'errata' to be incorporated in the text instead of the table of contents.
    • Reasonable 3D drawing package - something that allows making 3D parts by tracing the 2D image and quickly sweeping in the Z-axis to make the 3D part. We talking MacDraw easy to use but with a sensible 3D expansion. This will make doing proper stress analysis as well as adding the 'errata' to the drawings.
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had good results with Nuance PDF Converter Professional 7.0. They are up to 8.0 now which they claim has some more capabilities but I haven't used it.

The OCR is very good, it also does a reasonable job of taking page with illustrations and text and doing OCR on the text while leaving the illustrations as is. That part isn't as good as the OCR but I think it would still be a big labor saver if you are going to scan a manual. It will save as pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, etc. also txt.

I think you can download a free evaluation copy to try it. I also saw this,
    Nuance PDF Converter Professional 7
    Version 7 Pro at 1/3 the list price of a new version 8 Pro. I think 7 would meet your needs.