1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RFID Enabling Your Front Door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jkusnetz, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

Here is a DIY project for making a house door lock open using an RFID reader.

RFID Enabling Your Front Door

I'd like to explore modifying this to work with my Prius's FOB.

Does anyone have any pointers on what kind of RFID reader would work with Toyota's keyless entry?

I know something like this could be used for evil purposes, ie theft of the car, so there probably isn't too much public information out there.

But that said, does anyone have any thoughts?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe Toyota uses TI's RFID system. Check out this site: http://rfidanalysis.org/
    A team at Johns Hopkins University successfully hacked the TI RFID system. Just beware of security risks if you are using this for your front door.

3. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Oct 4 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]327771[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting link. I'm not too worried about someone using this to brake into my house. There are probably much easier ways to do that if someone was interested in getting in. I'm just looking into an easy way for ME to get in. Plus it would be a cool project to do. :)

I found on TI's RFID site: RFID/EPC Tehcnology Solutions that you can order evaluation kits. That might be interesting if I knew which one to order and if in fact TI did make the RFID for the Prius.

Maybe I should try cracking open my key fob and see what's actually written on the RFID. Anyone have any tips on opening the FOB without destroying it? :)

One thing though, the link above seems to be talking about passive RFIDs. Aren't the RFIDs we use on the Prius active?

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I THINK the coding algorithms for passive and active RFID are the same, just the hardware that's different. Active RFID tag has a power source like a battery (our key fob is an active RFID tag), while passive RFID tag does not.

Don't have time to look at the datasheet on TI's website.. at work now... maybe tonight... Looks like the higher frequency kit is the way to go. Everybody in the RFID industry is moving toward higher frequencies, there gotta be some advantages right? One I could think of is smaller antenna, which means smaller RFID tag size.

Keep researching on this man, you have the coolest mod I've seen on a Prius so far. And I've been always interested in RFID stuff. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

5. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkusnetz @ Oct 4 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]327841[/snapback]</div>
    Well I figured out how to open it up enough to get to the battery. I have a feeling the rest of the FOB is glued together and right now I don't want to risk destroying the thing to get to the cicuit board.

There is a sticker next to the battery which I may be able to use to hunt down more info.

MDL B31EG
    FCC ID: MOZB31EG
    IC:2584A-B31EG
    TOKAI RIKA CO.,LTD.

I did a search fo B31EG and found someone trying to get an ebay FOB repgrogrammed at the dealer. He says it's transmitting at 313MHZ with 540ms bursts of data that his original FOB put out. I assume he must have some sort of reader to figure that out.

6. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thread back from the dead!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkusnetz @ Oct 4 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]327952[/snapback]</div>
    What you really want is:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...nericSearch.cfm

And search for PENASAT2. Not the FOB's FCC ID. Since the fob is active and the FCC report didn't mention testing anything in the kHz range, you really want to read about the RFID readers.

The RFID readers in the Prius use 134.2 kHz.

The FOB's do not seem to have a rolling code or encryption. If you want to use your FOB to open the door to your house, then you just need to map the FOB's signature to some sort of authenticating system/micro-controller/whatever.

8. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This sounds like a pretty interesting idea to me. Just when I was thinking that my condo doesn't have SmartKey...

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Aug 13 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]494733[/snapback]</div>
    But always with some other device. I want a uniform key system that activates the car, house, or whatever. Adding some _other_ device to do this isn't the point. It's all about integration.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 16 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]496703[/snapback]</div>
    .....and allowing a criminal to have access to everything you own with one item and leave no clues whatsoever......or requiring replacing all locks if one thing is stolen. It can be a great idea for some, and a disaster for others. Think it through like a crook would. The whole purpose of keys and IDs is security, not convenience.

13. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Aug 16 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]497317[/snapback]</div>
    I'd throw a brick through the window (like it was done by the 'crooks'). Locks and alarms are not meant to stop people from entering places they do not belong - just deter or slow them down.
    Since the system would be 'electronic' you could change the 'lock' instantly. You could use and sms to disable the SKS for the house...

I'd just assume leave my doors unlocked but my cats know how to turn the door knob and get out. ;)

14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 16 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]497390[/snapback]</div>
    I, unfortunately, have experience getting robbed. Many crooks do throw the brick, and many are very sophisticated, and many are not crooks till the easy entry tempts them into becoming one. The later one has been the biggest problem when keys are lost or doors are open. It is very common at Florida beach parking for a lookout and roamer to check to see which cars are left unlocked and take everything, usually purses and wallets easily grabbed. (Like the kid that went back to the car and forgot to lock it.) I am not questioning you doing what you want, since every situation is unique. I do know first hand that a good lock does make a difference, since it is finding the easy car to joyride or the easy house to pilfer that is the target....and I have learned how to avoid being the target.

15. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Aug 17 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]498056[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know... I have _way_ more trust in electronic locks than mechanical locks. I've 'bumped' all of my mechanical locks open in under 45 seconds. The only lock that I haven't been able to bump are the magnetic keyed locks.