1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rice Asks for $75 Million to "Promote Democracy"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Now, even I have to ask, is broadcasting "democracy" into Iran via TV/satellite/radio, REALLY going to change anything?

Seriously, what if some foreign country started broadcasting their propaganda into the U.S. would you actually believe it? Then somehow ACT upon it?

Does it REALLY work? I can picture it all too well, tune into UHF channel 25 for 24 hours of Bush speeches.... :lol:

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What they need is a Wal-Mart. A little Chinese outsourcing ought to teach them about Democracy.

By the way, which countries have standing democracies anyway? I for one pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands.

Republic: a sovereign state ruled by representatives of a widely inclusive electorate.

Democracy: term originating in ancient Greece to designate a government where the people share in directing the activities of the state.

Are we attempting to build a Democracy in which every person has a direct say in the government or are we attempting to instill a Republic in which elected representatives make decisions on behalf of the populous?

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do y' think that $50 million could turn fox news or cnn into a 24x7
    broadcast into this country, advocating "slow down! back off!
    save gas!" and giving hints on how to drive efficiently, invest in
    better vehicles and energy infrastructure, and be a little less
    type A in general? That would be a much more effective weapon
    in the long run. No more money poured into the mideast.
    _H*

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you serious? You think if we give up our cars, it makes an Iranian Atom Bomb less deadly?

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try looking up "representative democracy". Even the Wikipedia got this nearly correct (ignore the Iroquois example; its pretty controversial). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I pledge allegiance to the representative democracy for which the flag stands? I'm surprised no one caught that earlier.

History has shown us that when we try to steer a country a certain way they come back to kick us in the crotch later. Iraq, for example was a good friend when Iran was misbehaving. And we supported Iran when Iraq was acting up. We also armed and trained some bearded guy in Afganistan when they were fighting the Russians. So just because we are trying to teach the Iraqis representative democracy doesn't mean that they aren't going to use their democratic process to vote against U.S. interference in the future.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    History taught us that when we try to steer a country a certain way they come to be our closest allies and great economic powers among the various types of democracies in the world. Japan, for example, was a historic enemy and a militaristic monarchy, but after just 7 years of occupation, they emerged as a free nation. And we did the same thing in Germany, even after a three year period of insurgency by the "werewolves", nationalist Germans and former SS members, who engaged in sabotage and attacked both coalition forces and those locals cooperating with them.

History has many lessons, but the trick is in seeing which situation actually fits the facts.

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I honestly and seriously hope you are right in this case and I am not.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not that this has anything to do will real life, but, this discussion reminded me of a funny movie. The Mouse That Roared (1959) is a cold-war satire in which Peter Sellers plays several characters. As the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, the world's smallest country, he decides that the only way to get out of their economic woes is to declare war on the United States. . . hoping to lose . . . then reap the benefits when billions of US foreign aid dollars flow into the country. Things don't go quite as planned. The plot pokes fun at international politics, nuclear arms proliferation and all the major players in the cold war.

I give it three thumbs up. :lol:

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sorry but I don't think the U.S. should be the world's "Democracy Fairy". I think we can find something much better here at home to spend $75 million dollars on. Especially when they're cutting medicare, medicaid and education and Katrina survivors are being evicted.

11. Priapus

Priapus Alter Ego

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's part of the President's "No Barrel Left Behind" initiative.

12. dsunman

dsunman New Member

Have you been visiting Japan and Germany lately? Have you spoken to anyone how they feel and what they actually think of US foreign policies?

Do you know how many Japanese are so displeased with presence of our bases for which they pay 75% of the costs?

Besides why are you speaking on their behalf, bring some Germans and Japanese to this discussion with plethora of opnions to solidify it. Germans certianly opposing us on Iraq and hugly on Guantanamo issue.

Allies come and go...

13. dsunman

dsunman New Member

I totally agree. Issues on the home front need urgent attention.

14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Allies often have policy disagreements. But Japan and Germany are still very good allies and friends of the USA. As is France.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Actually, does anyone know of any psychological studies that may actually support the idea that various forms of propaganda actually work?

I see what they're getting at though. If even one person gets some idea from the broadcast it might lead to a more significant assessment of whatever the subject matter is... Overall it does sound like a silly idea, but I really wonder if there's an element of truth to it, and if so, how "well does it work"?

16. dsunman

dsunman New Member

again, you fail to bring any of those people to the conversation. You speak on their behalf. Because they are allies on paper doesn't mean they are very fond of us.