1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Richard Branson: Virgin may build EV's

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Branson says Virgin working on electric cars: Bloomberg TV| Reuters

I see this as a good thing, and I think Elon Musk, Tesla's CEO, would agree. Competition always drives innovation and helps to bring prices down. And if they're successful, it'll help to wean people off gas a little faster.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have to admire the chutzbah.:cool:

#2 bisco, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I read it, but it sounds like Branson is just trying to feed his ego. Formula E is cool, and I'm sure branson wants to win it and all, but its a whole different world showing up late to the plug-in party. Barrirers to entry are low on the technology side, but huge on the regulatory and sales side. Apple or Google with their hordes of cash could do it, but I don't think Branson would raise enough money even if he morgaged his empire. Musk had Mercedes as a white knight when he needed help, but I don't think there would be any for this venture.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Empire building - something Branson is good at.

He does seem to get bored and move on too often and too quickly. We have his Virgin train company which are ok but not outstanding and certainly not class leading.

Virgin Trains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We also have Virgin Mobile which whilst having customers, doesn't get particularly great rep. They're not bad, but they're not good either - just steady away.

Virgin Mobile UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's like he has an idea, jumps feet first into it, gets it up and running, gets bored and moves on, leaving the company to stagnate. I'm with Virgin Media for my cable package and they're ok and offer a good product, but their customer service sucks. None of the Virgin brands are interconnected so you don't get loyalty discounts or anything like that. There's no interselling which could work. Virgin is just a brand name on individual companies he's bought up - some good, some bad and some shite.

Virgin Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that history I'd be very reluctant to buy an EV. I would really doubt it had the same attention to detail that Tesla offers. Branson would have got bored and moved on before the car was finished.

austingreen likes this.