1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Richard Dawkins - Beware the Believers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Betelgeuse, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read a fair amount of stuff about the evolution vs. creationism debates in FHOP and I figured that this Youtube video may be of some interest to you folks:

For those of you who don't recognize them, in addition to Richard Dawkins, the video includes PZ Meyers, Eugenie Scott, Sam Harris, Chris Hitchens, and Dan Dennett (you know a video has to be good if they have one of the most prominent living philosophers wearing a pimp hat). Dakwins, Hitchens, Dennett, and Harris are sometimes referred to (in a tongue-in-cheek way) as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because of their recent atheist publications.

The thing that's interesting about this is that, on it's face, it appears to be an anti-evolution (i.e. pro-creationism) viral video (perhaps connected to the release of the movie "Expelled"). However, there is nothing that's overtly religious about it and, indeed, there are some subtle swipes at religion, as well.

I don't believe that it is publicly known who created this, but it is never-the-less entertaining.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's pretty funny. The video pokes fun of the prominent "rationalists" of today. I don't think it's offensive in any way. I agree. It's entertaining.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the first lines ("We appreciate your concern; it is noted, and stupid") had me laughing, not only because it is an entertaining line, but because it very nicely captures Dawkins's tone a lot of the time. Apparently, PZ Meyers has now taken to using this line in his blog on occasion.

4. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most enjoyable 4 minutes I've spent in a while.
    "If I was dyslexic I'd hate dog too"

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like Dawkins, I'll have to check it out when I get home. :)

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that was...I do not know what that was. I don't think it adds much to the debate.