1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ridiculous ebay listing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SwanDive, Oct 16, 2005.

1. SwanDive

SwanDive New Member

Was scanning ebay for Prius accessories and found an ad for an '05 package 4 with "only 5 miles", but salvaged. Possible, I figured, if it was banged up at the dealership, so I was curious enough to read on....

Seller claims over 720 miles per tank! <_<

The pictures of the car include what appears to be relatively minor damage to one of the rear doors, but apparently, car was salvaged by insurance company standards anyway. Curious, no?
    It gets better.

This car with only 5 miles has a picture of the MFD. MFD shows a full 30 minutes worth of bars, along with several full regens. And 35 miles (somewhere around 72mpg listed). Hmmmmm.... Wonder how they finagled that out of the car... and why they claim it to be standard.

My obsession with the Prius took over at that point and I (irritated, but controlled and appropriate) wrote the seller about how misleading the listing is. My question isn't showing up yet, but hopefully it will appear soon and maybe this seller can reveal his/her magical Prius skills. This is a great car, but that's just wrong.

Dont'cha think? :huh:

2. jrohland

jrohland Guest

60 miles per hour is 1 mile per minute. If this car went 35 miles in 30 minutes, it was going almost 60 MPH (average) for 30 minutes.

At 2 MPH it would have taken 17 hours 30 minutes to go 35 miles.

I am not sure I understand your other concerns with the Ebay posting.

jrohland
    Arlington, Virginia, USA

3. SwanDive

SwanDive New Member

Sorry about that- i revised my post after i realized that it was a huge brain fart on the numbers. :unsure:

BUT...what i realized, as i looked at his MFD bars is that all we see is the MOST RECENT 30 minutes. Can you get 80-100mpg for 35 miles at 60 miles an hour? I know I can't. So my theory is adjusted to say that they putted around very slowly for a while to get that 72 (or so) mpg.

My concern is that the ad is misleading. I've been reading these boards a while (along with a few other boards) and have NEVER seen anyone hit a 720 mile tank- tho I'm definitely open to being proven wrong there, then being told how to do it, lol.

Do I need to give it up and just go to bed now? I'm not sure why this bugged me so much, other than I am a huge Prius fan and hate to see it misrepresented- especially when someone profits from lying.

(oh, and is it possible to have "minor damage, not involving the frame, etc" to a door cause a salvage? I thought there had to be some pretty big damage to cause a salvage title?????)

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The thing that jumps out at me is...How can it only have 5 mi. on it?

5. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

If a car is put up for sale without a pubicly listed VIN, that is suspicious.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SwanDive,

check out the "I Beat the EPA" thread =).

Also, yeah, so it drove for 30 mins and only for 5 miles eh? must've forced charge, drove around and let the car sit for the rest of the time.

7. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about posting a link to the add so the rest of us can see?