1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right rear thump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tooternbill, Dec 3, 2007.

1. tooternbill

tooternbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been trying to track down a thump in the rear of 2006. I happens ocassionally when I turn a corner or hit a small indentation in the road. It seems to favor slower speeds. Any suggestions, I have removed and cushioned everything I can get to. Could it be the hatchback latch? Thanks for your help>

2. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It might not be the same thing, but I tracked down an annoying rear sound to the rubber blocks on either side of the hatch that help keep the hatch aligned when closed. I'm only guessing about the actual mechanism that caused the noise, but I suspect the two rubber surfaces [one from the hatch and one from the body] were getting somewhat stuck together -- or at least held in one position by simple friction -- and then when they did eventually move [when the body flexed enough -- as in when cornering or hitting an entrance ramp at an angle], it made an abrupt sound.

I just took a rag with some 3M lithium lube [like they use on door hinges] and lightly lubed the rubber surfaces that touch. That was the last I heard of that noise.

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You might also check the exhaust system hangers in the right rear under the car. The exhaust system has been known to make some metallic clunking sounds.