1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Right Wiper on 2006 Prius - makes noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jplyons, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jplyons

jplyons New Member

I have a 2006 Prius that has a wiper problem on the right side. I have to say I'm a little annoyed since the car was just at the service department to fix the A/C (the compressor died - getting the part took three weeks).

It looks like the whole right wiper arm had come loose to where it now hits the hood. It's starting to leave a scrape mark on the matte-black finish.

I'll see if service can fit me in today, otherwise it looks like there is one bolt that holds/adjusts? the right wiper arm. May I can just get a socket wrench and re-adjust this myself?

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Other than that, we do like the car. We get 45.5 MPG on a very hilly commute from Eastern PA to Newark, NJ.

Any all all replies welcome!

Thanks!

The Pocono PC Doctor

2. sccaracerx

sccaracerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just fixed the same problem on my car last night. I'll reiterate the info I found elsewhere on PriusChat.
    There is a dot in the windshield glass (and on the rear window for the rear wiper) where the end of the wiper blade should be when the wipers are off and parked. It is subtle, but if you use a flashlight and look along the arc the end of the blade traces on the glass, you'll find it. It is in the black area of the glass, so the dot appears lighter than the black area of the glass, as if there is a hole in the black color.

The driver's side arm is on a spline, but the passenger side's arm is not. For the driver's side, you'd have to pry off the pivot cover, remove the retaining nut, and pull (pry?) the arm off the shaft. Rotate it to the correct position, and press it back onto the spline. Be sure the splines mesh up so the arm is fully seated on the shaft before tightening the nut.
    The passenger side is easier, no spline, just loosen the two plainly visible nuts with a 14mm socket ratchet wrench, rotate the arm to point at the dot, then re-tighten the nuts. According to Patrick Wong, torque to 15 ft.-lb.