1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

righties still headed wrong?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.spectator.org

McCain Vilsacked
    By David Hogberg
    Published 11/16/2006 12:08:07 AM

Over the weekend, Senator John McCain announced the formation of an exploratory committee to consider another run for president. Although the odds are against it, the committee should tell him not to run. A host of issues that are sure to play large in the GOP primaries work against the Senator...On taxes, ... "I cannot in good conscience support a tax cut in which so many of the benefits go to the most fortunate
    among us at the expense of middle-class Americans who need tax relief," he declared in 2001.

MJ: I've been thinking about the mid-term elections. I've been hoping the republicans were humbled enough to break out of the tired mold held by the minority party. It appears they haven't made any fundamental changes. They are trotting in Dad and all his old advisers to help junior. They have dredged up Trent Lott (perhaps good for the dems as Trent isn't a hard nosed neocon). However, they re-hired him for the wrong reasons. They feel he will be most effective in blocking any dem legislation (instead of finding someone who could work WITH the dems in finding solutions for the country's ills). By continuing to scan the five most right-wing pubs I know of on a daily basis, I have a feel for the pulse of neocon writers and it is not one
    of contrition. It is one of steadfastly holding onto what's left, instead of looking at things in a new way to move the country forward.

For a republican, McCain seems like he's pretty level headed and has his country at the forefront of his decisions vs. so many other pols (both sides) which have their own neck as the litmus test for their decisions. Now, as the '08 circus begins, one of their more 'reasonable' prospects is being discouraged from running.

I suppose looking forward to '08 this is a good thing and there will be another smack down if the same old same old continues. However, that is not what I look forward to. I'd prefer negotiation and cooperation be the rule of the day for the next 2 years. It seems to me that the only way for junior to salvage his legacy is to get past gridlock, and lead legislators to legislate. He has two years to replace our current memories of his presidency with favorable ones. Imagine how bad it would be for his legacy and all republicans to exit the '08 races with another slap by the voters.