1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims and tires question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Mar 30, 2007.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm looking to get black rims, and better tires for my 07 standard edition. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it true the same wheel size as the mini cooper, so you can get the same type of rims that are available for that? And what are some good all-around tires. It doesn't rain often in socal but I would like tires that handle well in average rain.

Thanks

-Alex

2. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Mar 30 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]415129[/snapback]</div>
    Go to www.tirerack.com, specify your car model and find zillion wheels and tire packages, spend weeks reading tire reviews :) Prius has same rim type as Scion.

3. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome, thanks for that link. Does anyone know if 17"s fit on the car, or if I should be going with 15"s for size and better economy

Thanks

4. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Apr 1 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]416116[/snapback]</div>
    Yes 17" fits but tire will be very low profile, so prepare for stiff ride. Make sure that overall wheel diameter (rim + tire) is the same as factory wheel or MPG meter will be off.

5. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    so I've been reading that 195/60 is better than 185. do you have any specific suggestions for 15" tires good in all weather with runflat technology? I don't think 195 tires have runflat, right?

6. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Apr 1 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]416126[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you think 195/60 is better? Based on what? You don't want RFT unless your car has tire pressure monitor. Read reviews and comparison tables at tirerack.com, you'll learn a lot. They also have stire dimensions calculator. Or visit your local Discount Tire outlet and don't forget to tell them you MUST have wheel of the same diameter. Briefly

185/60R15: 185mm width, height = 60% of 185mm, 15" rim. You do the math.
    Wider tire = worse perfomance in snow
    Snow tire = narrow tire
    Summer tire = bad performance in cold weather (20 and below)

7. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think my car has a tire pressure monitor, don't the 07s all have them? I read in a few topics some people say the 195/60 is better for handling. Thanks for the comments

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are going to buy wheels anyway you should consider going to 16 or even 17 inches. The correct alternate tire sizes are: 195/55-16 and 215/45-17. For the 15 inch wheels the correct alternate size is 205/60-15, the 195/60-15 will work but may be a little smaller in circumference, from some manufacturers it my be about right. Look at the revolutions per mile they should be within 1% or 2% of the original 855 revs/mile.

I use 205/60-15 because I was to cheap to buy new wheels. They work nicely, improve tracking and don't hurt the mileage by very much. They are 847 revs/mile and actually partially corrected my speedometer error. It was originally about 2 MPH at 70; with the slightly larger tires it is now about 1 MPH at 70.

9. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the rims I want only seem to give me the option of 185/65-15 or 205/45-17

Can you tell me the difference and what negatives I might run across if I buy these different sizes than your suggestion?

And I cant seem to find runflat tires that would fit 185/65-15

Thanks

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An add-on question: Does anyone know of any good looking LIGHT WEIGHT rims? Or knows of a database that has the weight of a rim?

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Apr 2 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]416772[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about run flats, I've never owned a set. I did look at a C6 Corvette recently that had them and I discovered that they are not very available. A lot of tire manufacturers don't make run flats except in a few types of high performance tires and then only in certain sizes. Check the Tire Rack web site and you will see what I mean. I think they are quite heavy compared to standard tires.
    http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

The alternate sizes, being larger, will also weight more, you can check the "specs" at Tire Rack and you will see the weight, revs/mile and some other good data. The stock 185/65-15 Goodyears, for comparison are 17 lbs each. In general heavier tires will require more energy to get rolling and will therefore cut your mileage a bit, of course you get some of that energy back when you slow down, unless you use the brakes. Being wider they have more rolling resistance and that cuts mileage a little also. On the plus side having more tire on the road gives you more traction for cornering and braking on most surfaces. Wide tires are usually not as good in snow, snow tires need to be narrower so they sink in.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As a general rule of thumb, an improvent in traction will also decrease mileage a bit. Traction usually means friction, and that will loose energy. It will usually not amount to much of a loss, perhaps one or two MPG, as long as you stick to LRR tires.

The Touring model uses 16" wheels, and because Toyota uses them, it can give confidence for your replacement. They can be had in light weight, but it's hard to find listings of weights. Keep looking, you'll find some sites that list the weight. Perhaps some work using google is required.

13. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks! Unfortunately the black rim styles I want only come in either 15 or 17. I might just go for the 15" black rims and some good all weather tires. Any suggestions for tire brands?

14. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Apr 5 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]418458[/snapback]</div>
    If you are still looking you might go to the Centerline wheels web sit ( google it ) They have a very good deal right now on a 17 in wheel that will fit your car. To the wheel just add a 205/45-17 or 215/40-17 TIRE.
    The lightest weight I have found so far is a GENERAL 215 at 18lbs and a Falcon205 at 91.1 lbs. I would guess the milage to be about the same with both tires as the lighter weight General has more contact with the pavement and more resistance, while the Falcon has an extra lb.
    I myself am leaning towards the Falcon as it was a great tire on my VW JETTA.....