1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims and Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by marcovi, Feb 4, 2004.

1. marcovi

marcovi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whats the biggest size of rims and size plus size that I could install on my prius? Without affecting MPG?

size rim? and size of low profile tire? Anyone?

Marcovi

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Just ordered a set of 15" Enkei RS5 lightweight wheels for my Prius. I got them from Discount Tire Direct on the web, but called them to be sure they would fit. They said they have been trying to get a Prius for a day from a local dealer for the purpose of doing some measurements, but have not been able to get a car. They thought they would fit but asked that I call them after I put one on to check for clearance. They said they will have to start developing data with feedback from customers, and I'm glad to help. If they don't fit, they said they would pay the freight to return them. Seem like nice people to deal with and I think the lighter weight wheels will enhance the ride.

3. marcovi

marcovi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi. Great. I hope your rims fit on the car. Please take a picture I would like to see how they look on your car.

Marcovi

4. 04prius

04prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On a japanese web site they showed an 04 with 17" rims. 8)

5. Mike N

Mike N New Member

The stock wheels look a whole lot better (bigger?) without the plastic beauty rings. Grab ahold of one and give it firm yank. It pops right off. I took them off one side and not the other. Then I got several opinions as which set of wheels looked better. 9 out of 10 said the pair without the rings.

6. m1j1tc0rn

m1j1tc0rn New Member

are there any pics available to compare? i'd like to see them without actually doing it yet.
    -r

7. marcovi

marcovi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get some pictures. I would like to see that. :wink:

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Don't be such a fraidy cat. Just grab one and pull. If you don't like it, just bang it back on with your hand. No tools needed. It's not on that tight. When mine came off, there were NO marks left behind. The finish on the wheels is very hard.

10. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

I recommend you pull from anywhere other than the valve stem hole. I agree that they are pretty easy to remove, but the plastic around the vavle stem is not as sturdy (or so it seems to me).

I just took mine off while washing the car. I remember someone saying they thought that, in addition to aerodynamics, they would help to prevent scuffs to the rim. I'm entirely convinced because I think the "bulge" part of the rim sticks out just as far as the cover. The cover may help with a small curb, but running into a large curb is going to scrape up the rim as well. IMHO, :?

11. nvherknav

nvherknav New Member

I’ve been reading numerous posts on tire and wheel size with interest. Having equipped numerous vehicles with +1, +2, and +3 tire and wheel combinations, I’ve come to the conclusion that size does matter, as does looks.

Numerous tire sites list tire and wheel package options all the way up to 18†wheels. I am currently looking at Akuza AKA 218 Sublime wheels (chrome) 17x7.5, and Toyo Proxes FZ4 215/45ZR17 All-Season tires. This package has been tested and installed on a CA 2004 Prius in Nor Cal (www.bigwheels.net). Bigger size rims come with lower profile tires, so the overall tire diameter remains the same as your original tires.

All arguments aside, the look and the feel of less flexible rubber under the car is worth it.

NVHERKNAV
    Reno, NV.

12. Joel

Joel New Member

17 inch wheels and tires.

13. n3ok318

n3ok318 New Member

Just leave the factory rims on.. It's a PRIUS

14. Joel

Joel New Member

....yes, it is a Prius....and you're point is? :roll:

15. assagor

assagor New Member

hey Joel, that looks pretty good. Makes me wish the prius sat a little lower so the tire would "hug" the wheel well better. But good choice in the smoked colored rims.

16. Joel

Joel New Member

Thanks, lowering kits are sold in Japan - it is possible to get them here but not very economical.

17. ny888

ny888 New Member

Joel,

Since getting the 17" wheels have you noticed any effects on speedometer, mpg or gps accuracy ?

18. Joel

Joel New Member

I have no point of reference because I installed the after market wheels and tires 10 miles after having taken delivery. However, the ovreall diameter of the after market wheels/tires is the same as OE.

19. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

Here's Another Style of 17" Wheels You Might Like To Se

I slipped a set of 17x7.5 inch Arelli Assassyn's on mine - can you say, "Eye Catching"? The tires are Nankang 205/40R17's. The ride and cornering has improved by 100%. No more "wandering" either. Spacers had to be used in front for caliper clearance but I still had plenty of threads left on wheel studs.

Has had no effect on speedometer or odometer readings (total outside diameter is identical to OEM specs) and the mileage has only changed by a couple of miles per gallon - well worth it in my book.

-Bob

20. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

Re: Here's Another Style of 17" Wheels You Might Like T

you say mileage change was 'worth it' so i presume it went down. is that because of the added weight of the wheels? or something to do with the tires? (please excuse me if those are 'dumb' questions)