1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims & Black Leather for an 06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by georgekessel, Jun 13, 2006.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been waiting for my Prius a long time, we wanted a Black on gray package #8. The dealer in Bellingham/Blaine called me last week because he came across a Black / Gray package #7. He offered to redo the interior to leather for the same price we would have paid for the upgrade to package #8. This was very interesting for us because we really wanted black leather interior.

So now the car is in the works and I have questions for the board;

1) To make her look schnazzy I wanted to put on a set of 17" black spoke rims. Has anyone had any ride quality issues with 17" rims, should I stick with 16" instead?

2) Anyone redone the interior of their Prius and have any suggestions for us as to which materials to use and what to touch/not touch

3) Is the only difference between package #7 and package #8 leather seats and steering wheel - or is there anything else?

Thanks Guys!

Josh :)

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

1) No issue with ride quality. It IS a bit firmer, but the increase in handling outweighs it.

2) Sorry, no answer.

3) That's it.

3. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the info,

I am really torn as to go with 16 or 17" rims :(

4. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Jun 14 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]271186[/snapback]</div>
    After a test drive yesterday traveling at 70 mph with stong 35mph winds the car just did not track well enough. I would like to upgrade to 16"/17", not increase unspung wieght and stay under $1000,00. Can it be done?

5. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 14 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]271201[/snapback]</div>

Good luck finding that combo. :) I added about 40 lbs. unsprung weight and still get over 40MPG, and my ride looks schweeet! That is so worth 10MPG. I did spend $1500 for the wheels and tires.

6. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jun 14 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]271264[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree that your car so oh-so sweet (cool,bitchen,bad-depending on ones age) but 10 mpg would cost me another $1500.00 a year in fuel. I may have to stick to the ungly little wheels........But there must be something in between????????

7. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I added Scion 17" rims including tires for $400.00 (bought them off of Priuschat). I've only dropped about 4 mpg on average. The handling is so much better and the car looks clean....

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got aftermarket grey leather seats in my 2006 Prius. I've been told that the leather seats in package 8 don't include a console cover and armrest covers - my aftermarket package did. So talk to your dealer - he's almost certainly using an aftermarket 3rd party shop, and they are probably going to be giving you Katskin seats - and find out about any options for the seat package. If you look at www.katskin.com, you'll see they offer both smooth and perforated leather, and it's possible to get a combination of two types of leather (I've seen pictures on this site of two-toned gray seats - charcoal around the edges, lighter grey in the center), and Katskin also offers an option for heated/cooled seats. Here's there site - check out the middle option on that page to get an idea of different 'combinatons' KATZKIN
    (I hadn't known about all the combo and color choices - I just dealt with my dealer over the phone and said I wanted 'gray', and I'm happy with what I got. They did ask me about solid or perforated and about heated seats - I just wanted plain grey - I'm conservative in design, not politics.)

And if you want back support, the third-party installer can almost certainly do that, as well. I've also seen postings on this site saying the quality of the Katskin leather seats is better than the factory-installed or port-installed leather seats.

9. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 14 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]271271[/snapback]</div>

I'm sure I could do better on mileage if I didn't drive it like my CTS. I still get over 40 MPG. On my way home tonight, I averaged 50 just pokin' along. You know the saying, "drive it like ya stole it"? That's me. :D I came from 18 mpg avg, so I'm stoked. If you drive that many miles, I'd stick with the stockers. I know I'll never get 60MPG, like others here do, but it's all good! BTW, do a search for "Wedsport" wheels and you will see Escalade_on_22's, (not sure about the user name spelling). He went with 15 or 16" Weds that are lighter than the stock wheels and his car looks really tight. I might buy a set of tires and wheels like that if I get in a "fuel economy state of mind". I believe he has like 1500 bucks in that set. You can get them from tirerack.com.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

To not add any unsprung weight you are going tohave to spend at LEAST $1500 on the wheels alone if you want to move up to 17" rims. Tires are actually pretty cheap, about $78 each for the lightest (I found) 17" tires.