1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rims

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by slowfoot, Apr 3, 2024.

1. slowfoot

slowfoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any suggestions for best rims to use with snow tires ? 2014 Prius V

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Camry steelies?

Tim Jones likes this.
  3. slowfoot

slowfoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure if your question is a suggestion or a question about the make of the steel rims I am using.
    They are not made by Toyota they were supplied by the tire dealer along with the tires. It was some kind of discount shop.
    I bought the tire during a mad dash to get out of town and so did almost no research prior to my purchase. The first winter use proved the set was completely satisfactory.
    I winter number two (22-23) and then during last winter, I noticed the when rolling very slowly to a stop and depending on the road surface there was a faint wobble in the suspension, faint enough to make me wonder if it were imagined.
    This last winter there was a new symptom which was pronounced vibration at 70 mph . I almost never drive over 65mph. Traffic habits in some areas where I now live include pedal to the metalists and slow pokes like me. Sometimes I get boxed in and need to speed to a quieter pod. That's when I have noticed the shaking/vibrating.
    The last time I had such symptoms it was New Mexico clay stuck on the inside edge of my VW's front wheels.
    My Prius steel wheels are 3rd party. I wondered if they are too heavy for the Prius V suspension.
    The tires are Bridgestone Blizak 205/60R16...The rims are stamped with DOT numbers and no name except "made inPRC", 16X6.5.
    To get further into the weeds...I had these wheels mounted at shop during an oil change two winters past. The tech pointed out that the center hole in the rim was larger than and therefore not in contact with the circular ridge in the center of the hub.
    I found an internet speed shop that makes spacers to fill that gap and presumably make the rim to hub connection more secure and centered.
    The aluminum rings are not cheap and do not fare well in terms of salt and galling. I generally do my tire swaps and these rings are a bit of a pain.
    Long sad story...hardly earth shaking....I am curious if wrong rims could lead to the high speed vibrations.