1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RIP Mary Travers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tleonhar, Sep 16, 2009.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing....

I grew up with your music in my ears, I am a better person for it.
    Thank You!

3. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The flowers have gone to young girls everywhere . . .

Very sad news, having grown up listening to PP&M and other folk music in coffee houses; pre-Starbucks. --TK

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Henry Gibson of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In also died. :(

5. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very sad news indeed. Remember their songs and lyrics; enjoyed them when I was a teenager...long, long time ago.

May her soul rest in peace.

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's like the era of peace and love has officially been laid to rest ....

7. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But the spirit lives on...

8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rip. :frown:

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
    And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,
    Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
    And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :frown::frown:

10. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We learned the Peter, Paul & Mary songs at summer camp.
    When I found out that they were actually living people, I felt like I'd passed thru a glass ceiling, of sorts.

Still have their vinyls; still playing them.

Fare thee well, Mary.

11. Benggolf

Benggolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's something about Mary from AFP.

NEW YORK – Mary Travers, the female third of the wildly popular folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, whose anthems lent passionate voice to the 1960s protest movement, died Wednesday after battling leukemia, her publicist said. She was 72.
    "She passed away today at Danbury hospital in Danbury, Connecticut," Heather Lylis told AFP.
    Travers and her fellow bandmates, Peter Yarrow and Noel "Paul" Stookey, burst onto the American folk music scene in 1961 with an influential style punctuated by rich three-part harmonies and activist politics.
    The honey-voiced singer with signature blonde bangs emerged from the coffeehouses of New York's Greenwich Village and, flanked by her two male guitarist companions, stepped into superstardom with a string of hits including their version of "If I had a Hammer," their singalong anthem about racial equality, as well as the single "Lemon Tree," the anti-war ballad "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" and the whimsical "Puff the Magic Dragon."
    Despite their folk roots, the band quickly achieved commercial success, with their self-titled 1962 debut record reaching number one on the US charts and selling more than two million copies.
    Their spruced up version of "Blowin' in the Wind" became a popular interpretation of fellow folk singer Bob Dylan's anti-war anthem, and Peter, Paul and Mary performed the song at the 1963 civil rights March on Washington.
    In 1969, their cover of the John Denver song "Leaving On A Jet Plane" became their only number one single.
    The trio broke up in 1970 to pursue solo careers, but never matched the success they enjoyed as a band.
    Travers dived into activist work, speaking out about the challenges facing Russian "Refusnik" Jews whose applications to emigrate from the Soviet Union were denied, in support of human rights in Central America, and against South African apartheid.
    The trio reunited often for concerts, but took a pause when Travers was diagnosed with cancer in 2004.
    She eventually had a bone marrow transplant, side effects of which contributed to her death, Lylis said.
    But not before reuniting for several tours that saw the group play dozens of concerts in recent years, including their final performance together in May 2009 in New Jersey, according to Lylis.
    Yarrow, 71, said in a statement that Travers "handled her declining health in the bravest, most generous way imaginable," never complaining about the illness that robbed her of her ability to perform in her last months of life.
    He said when Travers was on stage she sang "honestly and with complete authenticity.
    "The trio's growth, our creativity, our ability to emerge over the years completely accepting of one another, warts and all, was a miracle. This gift existed, I believe, because of the music itself, which elicited from each of us the best of who we were."
    Stookey said in a statement that Travers "could be vexing and vulnerable in the same breath."
    "As an activist, she was brave, outspoken and inspiring... As a performer, her charisma was a barely contained nervous energy," he said. – AFP

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Shortly after Mary Travers moved to Redding 33 years ago, she hung a green flag for environmental awareness outside on Earth Day. It caused a ruckus, with several in town upset that this “subversive” flag, and not the American flag, was hanging outside her Limekiln Road home. At that time, some people here did not know what green meant, said Mary Anne Guitar...

Mary Travers, folk singer, is remembered here for her contributions