1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rip Off repair?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tom777, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Tom777

Tom777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My neighbor's Prius monitor screen went out ( I think it was 2002) a few years ago....he said the dealer wanted $1800 to replace. He said he found a used one on Ebay for $80. After pulling out the dashboard, it was just a matter of screwing out and screwing in the new one. A simple replacement. Going through message boards, I found one Prius owner who was quoted $6000 for a new multi function display (same thing? )
    This is why I would not buy a Prius......Although my neighbor, a self fix it car guy...loves it.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You joined to complain and generally rattle the sabers against prii ?
    If you spend some thought in a positive manner you will learn that the gen2 with screen problems had a tsb recall, if one dealer is dishonest are they all, try any GM dealer and then complain;)

3. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yet you own a Prius C and joined Prius chat? I'm confused.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We tossed out a kitchen range 'cause the digital display replacement was close to the cost of a new stove. Something wrong with the world I think.

5. Tom777

Tom777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I do not own a Prius 2...I just rented one. Fun to drive. But I have reservations about extensive electronics....they sometimes for no logical reason... just go out. I realize for most owners this car has been reliable, but for the unlucky ones, the car has been to expensive to repair in comparison to an ice car. If you are driving <20K a year , I guess the risk might be worth it.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Tom,

There are several third party suppliers that repair the MFDs and other electronic parts for a reasonable price (e.g.~$300 for an MFD). You can also obtain salvaged parts with a warranty at low cost. If you rely on a dealer for these repairs, you can't afford any car.

JeffD

richard schumacher likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Although your profile presents that you own a Prius c.

Also seems to me your basing your opinion on ONLY two things. The second hand experience of your neighbor, who evidently WAS ABLE to fix the problem for $80. And a RIDICULOUS anecdote you found on a message board. (Anyone who spends $6000 dollars to fix a MFD deserves what they get, and I've NEVER read a thread where anyone was quoted that much or was foolish enough to agree to a repair of that part at that price.

Also you do realize that all modern cars today have "extensive electronics"? The Prius isn't the only exclusive vehicle with an MFD screen. Even ICE only vehicles have ECU's controlling numerous aspects of the cars operation. The 1960's 1970's days of Engine, Transmission, Carburetor and not much else, have long passed.

If you fear electronics, your only transportation choices moving forward are "Public" and/or a bicycle.

And yes, Rip Off Repairs happen in the auto industry. It's the responsibility of the owners to investigate, be knowledgeable, and not let shady or unethical repair facilities rip them off. This also is not a "Prius Only" vulnerability.

Okinawa likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a massive rip going on in the automotive industry, methinks. The crazy costs for so many replacement parts rival the scandalous prices private contractors charged the US military. The auto manufacturers have a captive audience, and not enough people raising the alarm.

Telling folks to skirt the dealership and DIY with salvage components just compounds the problem.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rip Off Repairs DO HAPPEN. I agree.

But I would also say, $6000 dollars quoted for a MFD screen replacement is NOT representative of the common cost or the repair industry.

And I think people are always free to "skirt the dealership" and seek out other avenues of repair and resolution. I don't think this compounds the problem, I think it helps solve the problem. If repair shops/dealerships feel they are the ONLY avenue for repair, they are going to feel pretty empowered to charge whatever they think they can get.

If people can repair something on their own, or by using different avenues such as salvaged or used parts for significantly less? Then that keeps them in check.

I'm NOT a big DIY guy, just because of circumstance and living arrangements....no garage. But I certainly would recommend to anyone that has the time...tools and desire to investigate used, salvaged parts and the possibility of doing work themselves.

My only caveat, is when the system being worked on happens to be brake or suspension related, because I think that ties into the safety of the vehicle so directly. I'm hesitant to give a blanket endorsement of doing your own brake work, unless you are very well trained and versed in what you are doing.

But in most cases? If you can get the part yourself, and feel confident in being able to fix the problem? Why not?

I wish I could do it more.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess I've just seen credulity stretches too often. It used to set me back on my heels when it was $500 for a new distributor cap. Now, looking at middle four figure numbers for the battery, the master cylinder, or the aforementioned Multi Function Display, I go into a slow burn.

And when the majority of owners are bypassing the obvious, immediate route, ie: the dealership service department, something's broke.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. Buy new with a 3 year / 36000 mile warranty
      1. Sell before warranty expires
    2. Also, buy the extended warranty
      1. Sell when the warranty expires
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson