1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RIP Pope John Paul

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a catholic myself but I figured he's a pretty important figure.

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope John Paul, the Polish pontiff who led the Roman Catholic Church for more than a quarter century and became history's most-travelled pope, died Saturday night in his Vatican apartment. He was 84.

The announcement came from papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls and was distributed to journalists via e-mail.

"The Holy Father died this evening at 9:37 p.m. in his private apartment. All the procedures outlined in the apostolic Constitution 'Universi Dominici Gregis' that was written by John Paul II on Feb. 22, 1996, have been put in motion."

A mass was scheduled for St. Peter's Square for Sunday morning.

The Pope died after suffering heart and kidney failure following two hospitalizations in as many months. Just a few hours earlier, the Vatican has said he was in "very serious" condition but had responded to members of the papal household.

Since his surprise election in 1978, John Paul travelled the world frequently, staunchly opposing communism in his native Poland and across the Soviet bloc, but also preaching against rampant consumerism, contraception and abortion.

John Paul was a robust 58-year-old when the cardinals stunned the world and elected the cardinal from Krakow, the first non-Italian pope in 455 years.

In his later years, however, John Paul was the picture of frailty, weighed down by ailments that included Parkinson's disease. Although he kept up his travels, he was too weak to kiss the ground any more.

A fierce enemy of communism, he set off the sparks that helped bring down communism in Poland, from where a virtual revolution spread across the Soviet bloc. No less an authority than former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev said much of the credit went to John Paul.

At the same time, John Paul was no friend of Western lifestyles, warning against rampant consumerism and casual sex.

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Being of Polish descent and raised a Roman Catholic, I considered him to be a fine example of what Poles are really like (Polak jokes were abundant here in the '70s). Although I did not agree with many of the doctrines of the Church and now consider myself a person in search of the truth, I believe he was a good man, a man of peace and compassion. Doctrine against birth control and use of condoms caused much anxiety among Catholics and also many preventable deaths. He did see the problems of our western lifestyle and the unjustified war that W declared on Iraq.

The world will miss him. It will be very interesting to see the direction of the Church under his successor.

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

"It is doubtful there has ever been a pope who has so successfully translated his strength, determination and faith into such widespread respect and goodwill. In a world of shifting trends and leaders of questionable virtue, John Paul II has been a towering figure at the moral center of modern life.

"This is not a pope who looks at the public opinion polls," says Father Thomas Reese, editor of America magazine and author of the book "Inside the Vatican." "He says what he thinks is right and wrong from conviction. And that's why people admire him. He's a man of integrity and prayer, even if they don't agree with him."

I was raised Catholic, schooled Catholic & although I do not follow my religion by the book, I have admired and adored Pope John Paul II my entire life.
    :(

4. Oxygene

Oxygene New Member

JPII studied for the priesthood in defiance of the Nazi occupiers of his country, and, years later, played a major role in the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and Russia. His courage helped to end the nightmare of totalitarianism that the twentieth century was for much of the world's population.

Although not all of us agreed with all of his policies, he was much beloved by his flock.

I saw him say mass in Boston in 19?80? I'm sure that was the largest crowd I've ever been part of. I heard CNN or BBC say that young people's adoration of him was almost at the level of a rock star's. No rock star has ever drawn the immense crowds JPII did.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I too am of Polish descent. Yes Drygas is a Polish name and it was not changed at Ellis Island. I have been following the news and I have finally discovered the reason for a camera phone. To share with family and friends a great event like being able to be in Rome and pay respect to the John Paul II.