1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ripoff "Package 7L" for Southeast Region Customers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vincent, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Southeast Region is Not Importing the 06 Prius Package 8

I received a call from a very helpful person in the Southeast Region, who was responding to my e-mails to the SE owner and several executives about when Package 8's would be arriving in our area.

After my dealer accepted my order for a Package 8 in September and waiting almost 120 days for delivery in January, I'm now being told by both my dealer and the SE Region that Package 8's won't be available in my area; the top level Prius in the Southeast Region will be Package 7. If you want leather, the SE port will (happily) install leather seats, without leather side and center armrests and without the leather steering wheel for around $100 more then the price differential between a factory Package 7 and Package 8 Prius. Isn't having a monopoly wonderful.

I can't afford to keep renting a car and wait an additional 120 days to order another Package 8 from outside the Southeast Region, so I'm forced to take what I call "Package 7L". My dealer was so sympathetic to my situation that he's installing factory side and center leather armrests for me at no charge; there was nothing he could do about the missing $800 leather steering wheel.

I got caught in the "Package 7L" rip-off, but if you want a Package 8 in the Southeast in the future, the short-term solution is to ask your dealer to special order one for you from outside the normal Southeast Region ordering system. However, the long-term solution is for all Southeast Region "Package 7L" customers to start a letter writing campaign to Toyota North America and to the Toyota Southeast Region, complaining about the situation and demanding to have the leather side and center arm rests and leather steering wheel installed at no extra charge.

Here's an opportunity to use the power of 11,000 active Prius owner/members of PriusChat to make a change. I'm writing my letters to Toyota today. Once the mail, with copies to the various state legal, consumer and regulatory agencies start reaching the Toyota executives and the press and Toyota is forced to replace hundreds/thousands of armrests and steering wheels, I'll bet the Southeast Region "Package 7L" rip-off practice will end very quickly.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to let Toyota and the Southeast Region use the high demand for the Prius to let them get away with what I believe is a deceptive practice.

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not find a package 8 out of region somewhere that Southwest Airlines or JetBlue services and take a nice little trip for about $100 airfare or less and get just what you want?

I wouldn't give the Southeast Region my money or especially any of my time to fight it.

There is no advantage to buying in your region. All Toyota dealers will happily service your Prius.

3. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

I also had the leather seats added at "Port" so I guess I have a #5L. I really like the center console and Love the texture of the steering wheel. I wouldn't want a leather steering wheel at all. Never liked 'em. So I guess to each his own.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    You're right about one thing, Vincent: it's going to take concerted action to knock SE on its collective arse. What better place to see if that's feasible than here?

Of the 70 or so people who've posted to the "'06 coming in Jan or Feb" thread, I haven't tracked how many identify themselves (either in their personal information or their text) as buying in SE. My guess is at least 10.

Then there are those with '04s and '05s who bought in SE.

OTOH, there's the poll showing 86% of those who've posted were happy or "happy+" with their dealer.

If I were you, and had the time to go to the trouble, I'd start a "High-handed SE Region" thread. What's to lose? Resources are where you find them.

5. cdavid

cdavid Member

So where do we start sending these letter. I'm ready to send mine as well. I have money down for a package 8 in SE region as well.

6. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well sending it to Toyota Corp will be a wast of a stamp... SE regional HQ will be your best bet... It might take 1,000's of request to even get seen on the radar screen..

7. cdavid

cdavid Member

I agree with the previous poster. It is a good idea to start a thread that brings to light this anti consumer monopoly. All of us who are being manipulated by this corporation should chime in. We should not be prevented from receiving the Toyota product we want and want to fairly pay for. Where do we send our complaints to? If others outside the region also complain in empathy with us, perhaps a change in policy will occur.

The original poster placed his order, and deposit I presume over 3 months ago. Its difficult to go stand in line again somewhere else. I too placed my money down for a package 8. I want a Toyota factory made car. I do not want an amended car. We in SE (and Gulf States) area have to pay more for our Toyotas that anywhere else in the country due to SE extra charges on the sticker. For them to prevent us from receiving a standard factory package so that they can make even more money for a less finished leather package is insulting.

Its a shame that SE Toyota can't use its power to bring additional benefits to buyers in this 5 state region rather than insulting us and bringing disrespect on Toyota.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I didn't really get caught with a #7L, as I knew what i was getting before I got it. I needed my car sooner rather than later. If it wasn't a hurry, I would have waited till July for the Magnetic Gray as well.

Anyway, I agree about the texture of the steering wheel being better than the leather. All of our cars have leather steering wheels, exceot for the two we currently have. Our Volvo has a wood steering wheel, and it's MUCH better than a leather one. I like the standard wheel on the Prius. THe only other wheel I'd consider is a carbon fiber one. I just like the smooth feel of the wood one, and a carbon fiber wheel would be similar (as well as matching the dash kit I installed).

As for the doors and the center console, yes I'd have preferred to have them leather, but that wasn't possible, so I'll do without it. When I have my rear seat DVD system installed, the shop I go to has a full upholstery setup, so I may have them cover the console/doors with matching leather. For now, it's fine and i'm not going to complain.

Yes, it DOES cost a bit more than the factory leather, but if that is not available, what are you going to do. THe plain fact is that if you don't buy that Prius, someone else will. Right now, complaining won't really accomplish much.

EDIT: I need to add, though the SE is notorius for adding extra CRAP to the sticker, they did no such thing to me. Other than the leather I got EXACTLY what I asked for. The only options I requested was floormats/cargo mat, and that's what I got. They didn't even add the ToyoGuard thing (although I made it clear I didn't want it). The SE distributor is not 100% evil, only 92%. :p

9. km5er

km5er New Member

The SE distribitor is actually a family called JMFamily enterprises. These people are the worst for playing games for profit. Such as importing a lot of package 2 and 3 and adding $619 package of fabric treatment, etc., :angry: so that their package 2 or 3 is priced like a package 5. They are also the last ones in the US to update their website for the 2006 Prius so they can play "sell the 2005" game cause the 2006 are not out yet!.

I ordered a package 5 2006 and was told by my dealer it will be here in about 14 more days. I asked what other stuff was on it and he said nothing ..just the package 5. I suspect I will show up and it will have the junk added by JMFamily. This will make my package 5 cost as much as a package 8. If this happens I will tell them in very loud terms where they can put that car. I must be getting old...cause if I can not have it my way....I don't want it!

10. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was so disgusted by the SE dealers mark-up and bloated options, I wound up ordering one from a deler in MD and having it shipped to FL. Price was $500 below MSRP, plus none of the expensive SE crap added on. Including shipping, I saved about $3000 from what I would have had to pay a local dealer.

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is a shame that so many people feel they are forced into buying decissions for cars with equipment they want and aren't offered or don't want and are forced to take. The only way to do this is to refuse to buy what you do not want. If you bend to their will you are perpetuating the problem. Stand up for your rights as a consumer- write letters and post your experiences.

I would travel/fly to buy what I want rather than acept what the local dealer has to offer.

12. barry

barry Guest

Hi~ BRAVO for ur efforts! From my research dealers SAY they can order but what they really do is allocate any that come in, in the order of priority NOT PKg. When they get ANY they THEN call around to do a dealer trade!!!!!!! I'm in Cumberland, Md, my dealer said if I didn't but from him he wouldn't service me. HA!!! Another dealer said if I take fabric I could have a choice by Mon. Jan. 2!!! Then I could alwayd put leather in for $1200. Besides I think a choice of brownish or gold leather would be handsome in some of the choices oposed to the installed Gray. He also will give me a $1500. discount from the price.

~Barry

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

That's true, if you bought a Prius form a SE dealer and are now bellyaching becuase you didn't get what you want, it's your own fault. Someone can only take advantage of you if you let them. If you bought the car anyway, the only one to blame is yourself. This applies to all the things that people like to complain about, such as Windows. If you hate windows, don't use it; get an Apple or use Linux.

Anyway, I got the car I wanted. No bloated options, only the ones I wanted. I told my salesman when I ordered it that I didn't want any of that crap, and I didn't get any. If they had included them I would not have bought the car on sheer principle.

14. cdavid

cdavid Member

Its not so easy to people who live in the SE to purchase outside the SE. If you live in S. Florida, Its over 900 miles just to get outside of SE Toyota, let alone how far you then must go. Its alot of time and money to go out and bring a car back.

Anyway, my local SE dealer can prevent some of the SE Toyota add ons from being put on (eg. Toyoguard protection group, put on all the cars otherwise, addding $650, but only a $200 invoice price) to my car.

But if there are no package 8's being ordered by SE, that's the real rub.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    The telephone, the internet and low-fare airlines have made it much easier. It just FEELS like a formidable task to get one outside of SE in most cases.

And there's always the option of having the car shipped so that the travel isn't even necessary.

16. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But Why?

Yes fellow PC'ers, we can refuse delivery and call, Internet and fly outside the area to get what we want, but why?

Let's not forget the real culprits here are Toyota SE for withholding Package 8's from the Southeast market and Toyota North America for letting them get away with the Package 7L scam.

It's not so easy find, negotiate, buy, pick up and then have to drive your $30,000 investment 1,000 miles just to get what's readily available throughout the country (world). Let's stop making exuses for SE Toyota's deception before they dream up another scam that will affect even more Prius buyers.