1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ripped off again. $100.00 for Oil filter and ATF. :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Aug 14, 2010.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I'm sick of using genuine Toyota parts because of my dealers prices.

I'm just about to hit 100k km (60k miles) so I'm going to change the ATF along with my regular oil and filter change tomorrow. Yesterday I stopped in at the dealer to pick up a 4L tin of WS ATF, also got an oil filter and a couple of the little crush washers as well. I got $2 change from $100, arrrh what a rip off.

The price breakdown was about $72 (Australian) for the ATF, about $22 for the filter and about $2 each for the crush washers. Pretty sure I got ripped off. Dam I gotta learn to shop around more. :eek:

2. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow that is a ripoff. Is there any way you can buy the parts online?? In the US, a standard Toyota oil filter is $5-6, which should be $6-7 Australian dollars. ATF you don't have a choice you have to go Toyota on that one, but i think the oil filter, an aftermarket one will work as long as its not that ugly fram.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah last oil change I used an aftermarket filter (ryco) which seems to be identical quality to the genuine toyota one and was half the price. I'll have to have a look around at what I can get online, but I think if I have to get it shipped from the US then the postage will outweigh any savings.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I buy Toyota engine oil filters sold in a case of 10, which costs US$32.90 plus shipping.
    Champion ToyotaWorld

ATF WS costs ~US$9 per US quart at my local dealer.

I agree that shipping costs outside the US will eat up any savings that might otherwise be realized. However its unfortunate to see the excessive pricing for Toyota parts in most locations outside the US. For example, our UK friends also pay excessive prices for parts.