1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rising gas prices

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Dec 22, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed the steady increase in gas prices since the "non manipulated" price plunge just before the last election?

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 22 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]365831[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, our Chicago prices took a nice dive right before the vote and are gradually moving back up:

Attached Files:

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 22 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]365834[/snapback]</div>
    Megan thanks for the chart. I tried to copy one with the post but was unsuccessful. In CA we're already back up around the $2.60 range. I have been paying around $3.09 on my recent vacation.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe we need an election every month! No, now that I think about it, I would rather pay high gas prices. :p

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't buy gas often enough to remember the price from one fill to the next. And I don't care enough to pay much attention. Sometimes I leave the station without bothering to notice what the price was.

WA has higher gas tax than ID, and I sometimes go to Coeur d'Alene, but I never fill up there unless I don't have enough gas to get home, because I'd rather pay higher taxes to my own state than lower taxes to another state.

I'm probably unusual.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 22 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]365834[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, Damn Republicans! How dare you manipulate international motor fuel prices for your own selfish reasons!!! :angry:

[​IMG]
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/oilprice.html

AND HOW FREAKIN' DARE YOU REPUBLICANS ALLOW OUR GAS PRICES TO BE THAT MUCH LOWER THAN THAT IN BELGIUM, FRANCE, GERMANY, NETHERLANDS, ITALY, AND THE UK!!! YOU SHOULD ALL BE IMPEACHED!!! :lol:

Your chart would have been more credible if you would have included this one as a comparison.
    http://in.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=1233.TW...&q=l&c=

:rolleyes: :p

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 22 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]365874[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! :lol: You finally said something that made me laugh instead of all the Doom and Gloom. Keep up the good work. :p

Wildkow

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

SPE I believe the point of the post was to illustrate how US gas prices were manipulated for electoral purposes, even tho it was constantly stated during the pre-election plunge that the prices are NOT subject to manipulation. Your great leader even gave a nod to the fact that manipulation was impossible. We all know that compared to the rest of the world US prices are a huge bargain. Nice try at redirecting the topic, but NO GO. Care to start your own topic about how spoiled Americans are? I'll second your premise if that is indeed what you are after.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 22 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]365924[/snapback]</div>
    All anyone needs to do is look at the squiggly lines of the international gas price chart I posted to see that US gas prices were not manipulated for political/election purposes.

Take off your liberal polarizing eyeglasses and you too will see that the line representing the USA follows the same pattern as those from the other countries.

If Republicans are manipulating US gas prices, the lines would deviate . . . unless you are trying to say that all those other countries manipulated their gas prices in an attempt to help elect Republicans. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck with that argument. :p

Yes, our gas prices are low. Are you also blaming Republicans that you pay less to fill your car than you would if in those other countries?

Nice try at deflecting irrefutable proof that US gas prices are not manipulated for political/election purposes . . . but NO GO. The price fluctuations ARE the same, AND our gas prices are lower. :D

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! Nice SPE! You inspired me to do another examination of their premise and data.

According to MP's chart they failed to see that during the last 2-3 weeks before the election, arguably the most important part of the election period, the prices rise almost 50% more than after the election! Their claim that Bush/Republicans manipulate gas prices to win elections focuses on the three or four month period of the election year 2006 is only based upon the isolated pocket of Chicago as compared to the entire nation and from what I can tell is a 1.67% rise in the price after the election. <_< I’m not saying that the trend isn’t nationwide and even if it is this only supports the opposite side of their argument all the more.

[attachmentid=5985]
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/d...as_history.html

This chart shows weekly, nationwide average prices for the period starting the first week in Sept. through the thrid week in Dec. of each charted year.

These numbers/chart shows that in 2002 an election year the prices went up and/or peaked right before the election and down after and in 2004, a Presidential election year the prices again went up and/or peaked right before the elections and then went down after the elections. Even though his approval ratings were tanking after the capture of Saddam and all the major media were picking Kerry as the sure winner. I would assume if he and his cronies are corrupt fat cats were out to win elections and line their pockets with cash surely this wasn’t a very brilliant move letting the prices soar right before the elections? Not to bright on their part to let them tank afterwards, should have let those prices stay up a little while longer so that they could load up the coffers.

Now then as SPE soooooo adroitly point out with his chart showing that prices were a worldwide economic trend if you still think that Bush can manipulate the international/worldwide price of petroleum/gas you need to take a step back and use some common sense or ask (me, me ,me!) someone to slap some common sense into . . . oh, ahhhh,… I forgot you all are demoncrats, never mind, my bad… :rolleyes: Just kidding don't get your knickers in a bundle, stats can be really really hard to understand sometimes and it was my most hated/dreaded subject in college. BTW, can you all give America and her leaders a break once in awhile and not in some knee-jerk reaction assume the worst about her motives, agendas and actions? If I had somebody that said they cared about me always put me down and assumed the worst about me at every turn I don't think I would have much incentive to improve or change. Just a thought but it might help to use encouragment once in awhile. Not to mention lowering your own stress levels, geeez carrying around all that hate most be hard on the beaner and the bod!

Wildkow

p.s. Meganprius, How about doing some charts in other cities, like some of the ones in key states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc and see if the trend is the same.

Attached Files:

11. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 23 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]365952[/snapback]</div>
    There are many smart people on this forum. I knew long ago that gas prices would only be lowered until after the new batch of do nothings in Wash. were elected. Anyone who thinks gas would stay lower must have their heads in the clouds. El Presendente & his coharts are only interested in stealing more of our hard earned $$ so they can get richer.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 23 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]365910[/snapback]</div>
    OMG, I don't know how many times this can be said:

pwn3d,

OWN3D,

[​IMG]

and finally:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 23 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]365924[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 23 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]365910[/snapback]</div>
    The prices in your chart are for a longer time-scale, a different currency, resulting in a different arc on the graph further minimized by including the 0 value even though the lowest shown price is around 2. They still show the same drop in price between summer and november. And why premium when our Prius take regular? :) And frankly, it's not even being overly paranoid to think the Saudi's would help out Bush with a price drop. Woodward reported the Saudis doing so before the 2004 presidential election in Plan of Attack, a book the Bush/Cheney campaign listed as recommended reading (source: Wiki). Oh and yes, people constest this ( http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/20/politics...artner=USERLAND )
    Thought I'd throw that in in advance and say I'll agree to disagree with you on this point.

If you look at the prices for regular gasoline from the same sight at http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas2.html
    You can see how our prices fell from 2.24 a gallon at the start of July 2006 to 1.46 by November 2006 in the New York area.

From Wildkow's site, at http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/ftparea/wogir.../pswrgvwrmw.xls
    You can read the price of our Midwest (i.e., Chicago) gas as being $2.80 a gallon at the start of July 2006 and $2.18 a gallon at the start of Nov 2006.

And as I was responding to an inquiry about local gas prices, that's all I bothered with. Sorry for being on-topic :p

And to match the time frame of the other chart, here's our prices for the past year.

Attached Files:

14. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 22 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]365924[/snapback]</div>
    Transaltion: "I hate Bush. He is the debil. He's a moron yet he controls everything and has manipulated dems at will. He looks funny and isn't coherent, but he beat both Algore and JFK."

Pwn3d!