1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Risks of running HV battery fan on 'high' all the time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by landspeed, Jun 24, 2019.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

I've thought about this for a while; I have the 'set fan to max' on my EngineLink app but it doesn't work. I watch my battery temperature though via live data. If driven carefully it is possible to keep the battery cool and never even need the fan (in winter, which is 9-17 degrees C day / night here).

I've seen suggestions to set the fan to max to make the battery last longer; I personally would like to have the fan activate once the battery warms up, given the poor performance when cold.

One thing that does worry me; in winter, if the cabin of the car gets warmed up, and hence has humidity, and the battery is still stone cold, but the battery fan is running, would it not cause condensation to form on the battery and cause corrosion etc? Is this a worry (e.g. when battery is stone cold, in winter, and you warm up the cabin and have battery fan running all the time)? Thank you for comments :)