1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rivera and O'Reilly on drunk driving/immigration

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Apr 7, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Bill O'Reilly is about the only person in the world who can make Geraldo Rivera seem downright reasonable by comparison.

3. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Leave it to a liberal to defend an illegal immigrant for killing someone in a DUI incident.

A good friend of mine from my childhood, she was married .. had a baby of about 2 years old and had another in the oven. Her husband was driving her and their child after evening church and a drunk illegal immigrant ran a red light and killed the husband instantly.. leaving her with a 2 year old daughter and an unborn baby on the way.

Bills point isn't that he is an illegal drunk, his point is that the legal system had the chance 4 times to DEPORT this illegal and they didn't.. 2 drunk in publics, and 2 dui's... and it took him to kill somebody before the law was upheld.

All Bill is demanding is that law enforcement is allowed to enforce the law - by deporting illegal immigrants when they are caught for ANY crime.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    desynch, I agree with you - they should be able to do their job. However, their job isn't to deport someone who is convicted of any crime. Rather:

http://www.cis.org/articles/2001/crime/law.html

Drunk driving and being drunk in public do not qualify. The policy, the city, and the INS did their job and followed the law.

Geraldo makes a very, very good point. There are drunk drivers out there every day, every night. Many of them were previously convicted, and yet still driving around until they kill someone. One should this incident, this person, be any different from them? His status as an illegal alien has absolutely nothing to do with his drunkenness. It is, however, the only reason this case is "news".

Why don't we hear about the dozens, hundreds, or thousands of deaths caused by drunk drivers who have previous drinking conviction(s)?

5. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Because the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT should have been deported as soon as he was found. Thats why this is on the news. Because this guy had been caught multiple times committing similar crimes on our soil, whilst being here illegally in the first place - and was not deported.

So an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT has to commit a violent crime BEFORE they are sent back to their country.. That isn't a very Pro-Active approach is it? Wait for the PERSON THAT BROKE OUR LAW BY COMING HERE to commit a VIOLENT CRIME before they deport him.

The LAW is that he shouldn't be here..

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Rivera's position was that this wasn't a question of immigration status - it's an entirely different issue. The question should be why was someone with so many drinking violations out driving? His status as an illegal immigrant had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the drunk driving.

This would be like someone speeding and killing someone in an accident because of it, only to find out a police officer had let him/her off with a warning the day before... They already broke the law and weren't punished for it, what was that officer thinking?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 9 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]420275[/snapback]</div>
    This is yet another example of where we have a bunch of laws that are not enforced, or only enforced under special circumstances. As an example in Michigan, where we live, cohabitation by unmarried couples is illegal. The law is almost never enforced, unless some DA wants to pressure someone over another issue and uses it as a threat. Do I want to see it aggressively enforced? No, it's an outdated law and should be removed. It's the same thing with illegal immigrants. For the sake of clarity, let me discard the whole drunk driving issue that is clouding this argument. Illegal immigrants are by definition illegal. They are either breaking the law or the laws should be changed. I won't even pretend to know which way this should play out; it's way too complicated with all of the social, economic, and diplomatic factors. I'm open to any solution that makes sense, but while we are at it, let's fix the law and law enforcement: If it's against the law, enforce it; if it's not right to enforce it, then change the law.

Tom

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 9 2007, 07:36 AM) [snapback]420275[/snapback]</div>
    desync I see you're from Honolulu. How do you feel about being an illegal alien in the eyes of the Hawaiian people? Why don't you leave?

I think O'riley suffers from bushitus...He's so out in left field that even when, every once in a blue moon he strikes a common chord, that his bad reputation precedes him, and makes everything he says irrelevant. Reminds me of the lyrics to a song..."if you fall you fall alone If you should stand then who's to guide you?"

9. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Apr 9 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]420321[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah.. and the Native Americans feel the same way about you. See, the LAW says I'm legal.. whether someone wants to feel that way or not.. it's the law of the land.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 9 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]420334[/snapback]</div>
    And when mexican migration allows them to vote in their laws of choice, it'll be LAW that your children speak both english and spanish.

11. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I’m from VA Beach and I know some about the case. The alien DUI driver had been stopped back in NOV by the Chesapeake Police for DUI. He was given 90 days jail suspended and license suspended. The problem is he did not have drivers license in the first place. After talking with a Chesapeake Police officer about this, he told me most don’t speak English, don’t have ID or if they do, it’s a forgery. What do you do as a police officer when you have a limited amount of time to deal with speeding tickets DUI’s or other kinds of mister meaner crimes with non-Americans who don’t have identification and can’t speak English. Even when the local police do hold these people, the federal government, ICE, has their hands full and will not come get these people for simple crimes, so the local police give up on the issue, write them tickets and hope they come to court. This give these aliens a free pass to drink and drive and speed because it’s hard to identify who they are and to communicate with them. Only in the extreme cases, such as murder or other felonies will ICE come get the alien, if you are lucky.
    This is a DUI issue, and it’s a illegal alien issue too, because “some†people who are not Americans (aliens) don’t share our (American) value systems. It would arrogate to think the world would. Perhaps in this mans home country it’s ok to drink and drive. Perhaps they do not have organizations such as MAD and a social system the condemns DUI and other reckless behaviors. That’s why its important to have regulated immigration, to allow these people to assimilation into our value systems and learn what our expectations are as Americans.
    BTW When I’m in Hawaii I would obey the laws set by the locals who live there, let’s stay rational on the subject. :blink:

12. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Apr 9 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]420426[/snapback]</div>
    Great.. more laws. That is exactly what we need. :rolleyes:

We just need to enforce the ones we already have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fairclge @ Apr 9 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]420433[/snapback]</div>
    Illegal Immigrants disobey the law the minute they set foot in America. What is to stop them from breaking other laws? Most don't have insurance.. or a drivers license.. yet they drive around anyway.