1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road ahead for automotive industry still bumpy

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rancid13, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Road ahead for automotive industry still bumpy

Detroit faces difficult union negotiations in 2006; must make dazzling cars

By Roland Jones
    Business editor
    MSNBC
    Updated: 2:53 p.m. ET Jan. 19, 2006

From sinking sales to job cuts by the thousands, it’s safe to say that 2005 was a dreadful year for the American automotive business. Will 2006 be any better? Detroit certainly hopes so. But some industry observers say that despite new vehicles and far-reaching restructuring plans, serious challenges remain for America’s big automakers.

Full Article

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    American automobile manufacturers do not "get it." Until we are offered vehicles that follow "form follows function," and are innovative, Detroit will continue to be bumpy. Detroit needs to be genuinely innovative - offering vehicles that are ZEVs, require minimal maintenance, can be powered from renewable sources, have a high safety record and are appealing.

I find much of what I seek in Prius - a first step. I look forward to the ZEV Prius that I can plug in to recharge from photovoltaic panels - and 99% by pass fossil fuels. Detroit continues to produce vehicles that have adverse emission impacts, continue to idle when standing still, require fossil fuels and are built around planned obselescence.

3. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

They need that "wow" factor that no other car company has done and take that first step. Then, following purchase, it needs to be followed up with some serious "red carpet" service and reliability.

And by wow factor, I'm not talking about more horsepower, 0-70 in 3 seconds thing that they think we are wowed by. I'm talking about technology, better fuel efficiency, smaller footprint, asthetically pleasing, and priced between $10,000 - 25,000.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I think the american market might be (finally) "catching up" with the european and asian market. Smaller more fuel efficient cars that require minimal maintainence.

But I'm not convinced that the Prius and hybrids is a trend and not a fad. I think the market for SUV's will soon rebound because we all really need to look like sub-urban soccer moms right? (I know the image is of the big though guys but really they are all mini-vans in disguise).

I must confess that I was lured by the comercials for 0-60 not long ago.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not really. I like minivans cause they're practical and you get a lotta stuff for the money you pay. Try pricing a similar SUV and you won't get the same features (usually less). The closest I think of is a Sienna XLE Limited AWD vs. MDX with Tech Package. The Sienna has an edge with laser cruise control and more room for the 3rd row as well as rear sunshades and power sliding rear doors.