1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Construction/My Hazard Flashers my new Best Friends!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by freshmtt, Jul 30, 2008.

1. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had to make a short trip last night and had to drive on the expressway an hour each direction. I was determined to drive the speed limit and nothing higher than that. The expressway I was on has a 55MPH max speed limit but people go at least 65 or 80MPH. I stayed in the far right lane and drove between 48-55MPH with only going just a bit over once in a while.

I achieved an average of 59.5 MPG on this 95 mile roundrip last night :D:D

But what I realized is that even driving in that far right lane I had people driving right up onto my bumper and just tailgating me waiting for me to speed up. Even a few large semi trucks and it was really pissing me off as I was doing the speed limit and in the far right lane, if I drove any farther right I would be driving on the shoulder. One truck was practically on my nice person and I was so pissed, I ever so gently tapped my brake and they were not happy about that at all.

So, finally I decided to just put my Hazard flashers on and drive with them on just to see what the reaction would be. :rolleyes:

Well, I discovered that by putting the hazard flashers on, I was treated like the car had Leprosy. Everybody stayed far away from me and moved from behind me long before they reached my bumper. They would pass me at a normal distance and not run up on my nice person and sit there waiting for me to speed up. I was so happy at this revalation. I see nothing wrong with putting my hazard flashers on as I was driving much slower than the average driver, yet, I was driving the speed limit, and sometimes a few MPH faster than the speed limit, so technically I was speeding at certain times, 57mph 58mph, but obviously that was not fast enough for others.

Also the road construction was so fun for me, because I could legally reduce my speed to 45mph which is what all the signs in Illinois are for road construction MPH, sometimes lower, but the standard is 45MPH, with $375 minimum fine for going over that speed limit. A good stretch of the expressway had major road construction and the speed dropped down to 45MPH and I loved it!!!!

It was amazing to see that nobody at all wanted to drive behind me while I was only driving 55MPH or 45MPH in the construction zones. I was happy. I just wanted them to all get away from me, far away from me. I laughed at a couple hummers that were stuck behind me in the construction zone for a while. I am sure they were looking at my 55MPG sticker on my Prius and cursing me out.

2. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You would have been far better off to move into the left lane to let the semis pass you. They pay a lot of money to drive on the hiways and when they get slowed down it costs them money. It's not so easy to keep changing lanes in a big truck. You actually put yourself in danger by "tapping" your breaks. Think of it, tens of tons of truck trying to react to a sudden break light!!! Not a smart think to do. The hazard lights though was a very good thought. All that being said, I get plenty enough better milage in my Prius than I did in my old cars so I don't feel the need to crawl around the hiways just to save another buck or two.

Buck

3. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thats interesting, I wonder what state troopers and your battery (from the lights being used) would think about this. If you think about when people see hazards flashing on the highway, they usually think blowout or something; I bet some people who don't know much about hybrids probably thought it might explode...I'd say its worth a try if your getting almost 60 mpg on highway. (I'm around 52-55/highway). By the way is your prius a touring?

5. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't really agree with this, because the trucks are speeding, they are not supposed to be doing over 55mph as well as the cars. They have no special right to go faster than us because of time constraints, that is why we have so many accidents with trucks killing people because they are rushing to meet a deadline, this has to come to a stop at some point and overall road safety has to take over.

For the particular lady truck driver that drove up on my nice person, she had plenty of time to move over as the lane to my left was clear for miles and she just chose to be an nice person and drive right up to my bumper. The expressway was not crowded at all, it was well after rush hour and it was the opposite commute, so she did that on purpose and was not at all in a situation where she was not able to move over miles ahead of me. And if she was not watching her speed and did not realize that I was going slower than her, then she is a bad truck driver. She was also eating a hamburger and talking on a cell phone as I saw her reflection in her side mirror as she passed me and then got back in front of me. So she was distracted and just did not feel like passing me when she had ample opportunity.

I chose to drive the speed limit because my around town driving kills my MPG because I don't drive enough during the week, so when I get the chance to get out on the open road and get good MPG, I will do it.

Yes, the Hazard lights are a good idea. I put them on after I got sick of people riding my bumper.

I am a fairly curteous driving, however, I will not speed up anymore just to satisfy the fool behind me that wants to burn their gas, and the truck drivers are sometimes the WORST offenders. They are speeding at 75mph soemtimes and think they own the road.

So for this lady trucker last night, she deserved the tap on my breaks, she was far enough behind me that she was not going to actually hit me, but it was a wake up call to her, that I saw what an donkey she was being and I was not going to move just for her, when she had miles of space to get out from behind me. And she should not have been eating her hamburger and talking on her cell phone while she was driving some huge hunking semi.

I don't feel I was crawling around on the expressway, I was doing the speed limit, which means I was driving at the top maximum speed allowed by law. So in my opinion that is not crawling. Maybe if everyone else is driving like a fricken fool at 75-80 it would be considered crawling or creeping along, but it is the speed limit, and it was not a crowded expressway by any means, very light and I mean very light traffic.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They may pay a lot of money to drive on the highways, but they don't pay money to speed. If they are speeding, then it's too bad for them. They can slow down or pass on the left.

Here comes another rant: [rant] It's one of my pet peeves that drivers think they are entitled to speed. Speeding is illegal. If you think the speed limit is too low, then talk to your congressmen. [/rant]

Tom

7. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am exactly the same way. I drive the speed limit (not below), and even other Prius drivers turn in their seats to look at me as they pass me, giving me that WHAT ARE YOU DOING? look! Truckers are definitely some of the biggest offenders, but remember when in a stand-off with other vehicles, tonnage wins. Not saying that you should let them come up on your bumper at 75, just hold steady at whatever speed you are. Make sure you are in the right lane, though. I am always surprised people speeding by in huge trucks, etc. How can they be burning gas like that? Whatever!

8. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is a clip from the Illinois rules of the road about speeding and keeping up with traffic.

Vehicle Speed
    Driving too fast or too slowly may create a dangerous situation. Regardless of the posted speed limit, weather and traffic conditions may make it necessary to drive more slowly. However, driving too slowly also can be dangerous. Your speed should be adjusted for the conditions and match the flow of traffic, as long as it does not surpass the maximum posted speed. Doubling your speed quadruples your stopping distance.

According to our law here in Illinois. You are never allowed to pass the speed limit to keep up with traffic. So the law is on our side. You should follow the speed of traffic unless the rest of the traffic is speeding, then you are not required to speed at their level to keep up with the flow no matter the situation. Now I would never drive at the speed limit in the other lanes as that is just asking for someone to rear end you. However, driving in the farthest right lane possible is legal and allowed and we do not have to speed up to the flow of traffic as the Illinois law clearly states. Nor do we have to move over to a left lane or speed up for truckers if they want to speed in the slow lane.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Michelle, adding to your rules of the road, many drivers fail to realize that it is illegal to speed when passing another vehicle. If you are on a 55 mph road and you want to pass the car ahead, to do it legally you must never exceed 55 mph. It takes a long passing zone to pass a 50 mph car when you can only go 55.

Emergency vehicles are the only ones allowed to exceed the speed limit, and even they have rules regarding how and when.

Tom

10. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yes Tom, so true, I really wish the entire country could get the speed limit back down to 55 and really have the cops enforce it. But I fear this will not happen until gas prices go over $10 per gallon and people finally understand that going faster burns more gas.

11. rogerDB

rogerDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with the basic thread here. Drive the speed limit in the right hand lane, if the others want to speed, that is their problem! If the speed limit is 60 and somebody comes up behind you and doing 68 or 70 why should you have to exceed the limit just for them? I don't think an officer would accept that as an excuse. I am not in agreement with those that want to do 10 or more under the speed limit, unless the road is traffic free as I think you are asking for trouble from others. I think that at times it may be prudent to exceed the limit a little to truely keep with the flow of traffic, but I also try to just do the limit and get good MPG.

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just had an epiphany of sorts.

What if those of us who voluntarily limit our speed to the Posted Speed
    Limit (PSL) displayed a distinctive signal to alert other drivers?

Red and blue lights belong to the police. Yellow is for warnings and
    service vehicles. In the readily available colors that leaves...

You got it, GREEN. I'm thinking of a single green light displayed facing the
    rear, and over taking traffic.

I'm sure this idea needs addition research to determine its basic legality.
    But it has a certain attractiveness. If it were adopted widely, it would
    contribute to safety, not just of the speed limited vehicle, but of other
    vehicles nearby.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, and make it in the shape of an upraised middle finger, just to keep things friendly... :D

Tom

15. freshmtt

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is a cool idea!!!!

16. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I get your point about driving over the speed limit is potentially dangerous, and against the law. However, by your own quote, you were driving dangerously. You claimed you at times were driving 48. Your own laws state you should drive with traffic conditions "as long as it does not surpass the maximum posted speed". You clearly did not do this, and should have been cited just as the folks that sped past you should have been cited. You can't go around moaning about people breaking a particular rule when you're breaking that very same rule.

17. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i thought the park services used green lights....i could be wrong though

18. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree. It is against the law to speed when passing. However, in this situation I personally make the judgment call and say to myself, "is it safer to pass on this two lane road 5mph over and stay to the left for 30 seconds, or is it safer to speed up to 65 (breaking the law) and get over that much sooner". I for one speed up and break the law. Yea, the law doesn't have room for my *own* judgment call so if I get caught doing it I'll take what's coming to me. Let me point out that I'd venture a guess that every single person on this thread breaks at least one rule of the road at least several times a month. Does it make it right? No, of course not. As long as you're driving smart that's what matters most. There are times when following the letter of the law will put a innocent person in harms way more and common sense fortunately will usually prevail if you were to be caught in the act.

Mike

19. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know this was not the case with freshmtt. In some states (like Mass) restrict trucks from the left lane of multilane highways. If the highway is very congested I have moved to the left to let large trucks by. As someone else stated, tonnage wins.
    My .03USD
    Chris

20. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with your post completely. In fact, everyone should be in the right hand lane and the left most lanes should be used for passing. Regardless of speed. Driving this way helps prevent traffic jams and keeps people off the brakes...

The speed limits in my commute are 65mph. I typically drive between 73 and 78 most of the way in the right lane just moving over to the left (usually middle lane) to pass. I typically average between 51 and 53mpg (that's with the A/C on in our Arizona triple degree heat) on my commute using very basic pulse/glide techniques when there are no cars behind me.