1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pdamski, Sep 8, 2004.

1. pdamski

pdamski New Member

[font=Arial:b12f9c674c] [/font:b12f9c674c]I remember that they used to spray an undercoating on the underbody
    of a car to quiet down the road noise and protect from the elements
    and salt in snow country. Is that product still available? Is the
    Prius a candidate for undercoating?

I have only two complaints about this car. The first is the fuel
    filling inconsistency and the second is the amount of road noise.
    The noise is especially bad on the grooved highways in So Cal.

I realize that this would add some weight to the vehicle, which
    might reduce milage. I also realize that the stuff they use to
    undercoat cars is pretty toxic.

Would this void the warranty??

Inquiring minds want to know????

Pete D.
    Simi Valley, CA

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I doubt it would void the warranty and I would be suspect of the claim it would noticably cut road noise. The undercoating was supposed to be a barrier to salty water on the roads and was no more than 1/8" thick if that.

They don't even do it here anymore. Maybe it is because cars are made better, with the underbody made of galvanized steel or somehow properly treated during manufacturing, I don't know.

What I do know is that the undercoating companies were only liable for the price you paid to have it done. One small area of metal not covered would let salty water in, to be trapped by the undercoating. It would rust, unseen, worse than if the treatment had never been done. Since it wasn't visible, once the damage was finally spotted, it cost WAY more to repair than the companies had to cover.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

a lot of the road noise comes from the All Season tires if your in S Cal you might consider a different tire tread type. The Prius has some selectively applied polymer under coating on it already. Not a lot and only in certain spots. You might consider some Dyna Mat in areas such as doors and floor boards. If you do a search on DynaMat you'll probably turn up a post here on PC about it. Back in Feb or March there was a longish post on it in the Audio forum.

4. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Previous string on this last year.

Not a good ideal. If you look under the car, you'll see they did a great layout of components, with a lot of thought put into rustproofing critical components.

Indiscriminate application of undercoating on this car is problematic, could give you grief later.

I passed on undercoating for this reason, have seen no evidence of rust or other component breakdown (I live near Seattle - sometimes it rains here)

5. Tom

Tom New Member

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not worth it...

my sis works in the service department at major dealership in south sound and she does not recommend it... realize that she only told me because i am related to her...

she does highly recommend paint sealer though. she says taht is best thing you can do for a new car.