1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road & Track Test Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ServoScanMan, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw a couple of episodes of Road & Track on the Speed Channel this weekend. The first test drive was the Dodge Charge SRT8. Road and Track said it was not a good choice due to the poor gas mileage it got. GASP!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I couldn't believe my ears!

Today my wife and I was watching Road & Track again and they said the Hybrid Electric Gas car with the majority of the patents by Toyota is the future and it's hear now. The also showed a test drive of a Lexus Hybrid and had nothing but raves about it. :)

My wife wants the Lexus Hybrid. Man she has exspensive taste. :lol: :lol:

2. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jul 23 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]291171[/snapback]</div>

Well, she married you, right :)

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

GS450h I'd guess. Yup good taste, she has. I want one but retirement precludes it.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Isn't the GS450h an SUV? I think Lexus is coming out with a hybrid in their sedan line next year.

I know my Dad wants a Lexus when he finally dumps the Caddy. I told my Mom that Lexus was coming out with a hybrid sedan and her eyes lit up. But I told her that it was for power, not mpg like my Prius. And I told her for the money she'd be better off in the Camry. It has the heated leather seats.

I'm still working on them. My Mother says whatever my Dad wants. But I know he won't buy anything she doesn't want. So...I'm working on Mom.

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    gs450h is a hybrid sedan. GS is a sedan model, the SUV line with the hybrid is the RX line

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GS450h is a midsize luxury sedan. It's RWD, has 339hp, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds (faster and cheaper than the GS430).

Best Motoring (a Japanese motoring programme) did a 3 lap battle around Tsukuba Circuit. The contestants were the GS450h, GS430 and Fuga 450GT (M45). The GS450h won that race and one the first lap, it was faster than the M45 by 2 seconds and the GS430 by 3 seconds!

7. molgrips

molgrips Member

I saw an ad for one of these Lexuses (Lexii?) last night, and it made me think. It's an expensive luxury car, so who in that market gives a toss about fuel economy?

8. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 26 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]292466[/snapback]</div>
    Judging by the large number of Lexus hybrids cruising the streets of Beverly Hills & other pricey zip codes in the greater Los Angeles area, I'd say it has quite an appeal amongst that demographic!

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 26 2006, 04:18 AM) [snapback]292466[/snapback]</div>
    People like me perhaps, who spend money to lessen one's negative ecological footprint.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 26 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]292466[/snapback]</div>

Just because they're wealthy, doesn't mean they like to spend. Unless you're a pro-athelete where money just falls from the sky.

If we were to get a Lexus, a hybrid would be nice.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a great show on Speed Test Drive on the Lexus GS450h. Tommy Kendall and Danny Sullivan each have one on a track in California and race each other (for fun, of course). I don't think they were getting "hybrid" mileage when they were doing this! 100 MPH+ I was sold and ready to buy, until I checked the price! ;) Watch for it, I think it's on again in a week or two. It's listed on the web site. Oh, they also drive on "public" highways, in wine country, of course! (nose in air).

It's a great car for the wealthy, as it's a hybrid, so they're being responsible, right? Rated at around 8 L/100 km. Almost twice the consumption of the Prius.

I'd be tempted if I won the lottery, but I think I'd stick with the Prius. I've had my fun with my RX-7 - in a "big way". As we have seen in Hollywood, the Prius is a "status car". It says "I'm taking responsibility for the environment".

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha... I watched that episode. It was pretty cool.

13. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Jul 26 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]292466[/snapback]</div>
    Has nothing to do with the fuel economy. They are putting the hybrid system in that car to give it awesome performance off the line. It's all about performance. That wasn't the original reason for designing the HSD, but it's a great benefit the Toyota Motor Co. is now going to take advantage of.

Joel