1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

road trip FE report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eagle33199, Nov 27, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just got back from my big holiday road trip - St. Paul, MN to Columbus, OH and back. Had two people, a ton of luggage, and a dog both directions. Some of the notes for the trip:

It was almost entirely (as much as possible with traffic) done using cruise control set to 10 mph over the posted speed limit (shaved over an hour off the trip time...). This meant 75mph for everything but Indiana, which was 80mph.

Driving down we averaged 43mpg over 2.5 tanks.

Driving back up, we finished off the second half of a tank, and another one, getting our 43mpg average. We then stopped near Madison, WI to refuel and eat dinner. This is where it gets interesting...

The station we happened to pull into had a big sign on the fuel pumps "100% gasoline! no Ethanol". I thought that was a bit odd (isn't every place using E10 now?), but whatever...

Well, if any of you know the area, the drive between the twin cities and Madison is rather hilly, and horrible for mileage when using cruise control. Despite that, however, we ended up getting to St. Paul with 49mpg on the display!

Granted, this was only half a tank and thus hardly conclusive, but i wasn't expecting to see a 6mpg jump between E10 and 100% gasoline. thats a 13% difference!

Any thoughts out there? (particularly of the "there's a 100% gasoline station at such and such a location in the twin cities...)

2. MpgMiser

MpgMiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    To give a for instance, a 2003 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 engine
    Avg 6mpg less with ethanol mix
    This leaves this car with little more than 24mpg on a good day
    That. Is what amazes me more than the technology on new Prius
    This bugger pulls high averages with watered down fuel, just
    amazing

3. jellybug

jellybug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I love Prius!

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That must have been one heck of a good tank of gas. Six years later and he's still running on that same tankful. :p