1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road trip, head winds, and fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Wolfman, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tonight, I've been posting from Aurora, CO. I left Dallas after work Monday night. Unfortunately for me (actually it seems like it's typical anymore) I had to buck 30 mph headwinds on this trip. Decatur (where I topped off and officially started my trip), to Amarillo saw a paltry 35 mpg by the calculator. The winds were so bad that I couldn't even stealth my way through the little towns that dot US287 every 10 miles or so. I finally stopped for the night in Clayton, NM. The following morning found the winds to be MUCH lighter than the previous evening and night, but still in my face so to speak. Temps were also in the single digits. When I started up Tuesday morning, my computer showed 36.4 mpg. By the time I got to Castle Rock, CO. (wind killed my range), it was showing 42.1 mpg. My acutal calculated figures came in at a little over 39 mpg for that tank. I was happy with the final jaunt to my folks house. I had 76.4 mpg on the computer on the drive between Castle Rock, and Aurora. :flame: Winds by this time were pretty much out of the picture, thankfully. Mileage has since dropped to 51.2 mpg as of this evening from putzing around town.

The car itself performed flawlessly, pulling every single hill at whatever speed I was asking of the vehicle at the time. Not bad at all Toyota! 8)

It'll be interesting to see how the car does on the drive home Wednesday. I'm hoping like mad that I don't have any headwinds to buck me going home.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So how long of a trip is that, each way?

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trip is 740 miles one way, and VERY hilly.

4. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We did Houston to Aspen on New Years Day. The wind was awful. We had no problem until we hit the three long climbs between Denver and Glenwood. The battery ran out after 5 minutes each time. The climb, the wind, the snow, and the cold kept from going faster than 50. I was really disappointed but I just heard from a neighbor that's done the same trip in his 2004 several times and has had no problem. I'll try it one more time before switching to my 6 cyl. 4wd Outback for that round trip.

5. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

So does that mean that you have a classic Prius?

Atoyot

6. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No. It's a 2004.

7. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Steve,
    When you say the battery ran out - do you mean that the ICE had to charge it? You were not stuck? Right? Please provide more details. Thanks!

I live in Denver and only got my Prius on Christmas Eve and haven't taken a trip in the mountains yet, but want to know what to expect as we are scheduled to go up to Leadville (from Denver) next week.

8. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The big battery runs down to one bar so there is little or no power coming from the battery. You go up on the ICE alone (50 mph). On the way down, the big battery fully recharges in 5 minues (all bars green) and your ready for the next mountain pass. No real problem if you know what going to happen. It might have been the headwind, the very low temperature and the snow on I-70 that made it unpleasant. A neighbor just told me he's does it all the time with no problem.

9. teatopper

teatopper Junior Member

I too am planning a Colorado mountain trip from Boulder soon, and your experience of battery-power loss is a concern. Cold, wind, elevation, heater...hmmm. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't take the Tundra instead. I've only had my '04 for 3 weeks too.

Seaside BC, 12/26/03

10. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good decision. I'd wait to spring for the first mountain trip.
    The heater was fine. I just thought the low temperature might have reduced engine power.
    Also, I prefer 4WD for mountain trips although that was not a problem with the Prius with Blizak snow tires.