1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Trip in my C or a rental?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Sunkiss'd C, Jun 4, 2013.

?
  1. The C

90.9%
  2. Yaris Rental Car

9.1%
  1. Sunkiss'd C

Sunkiss'd C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Going only 880 miles roundtrip, round up to 1,000 miles just in case. I want to take the C mainly bc of costs, wife wants to take rental mainly bc of convenience. Putting mileage on our car isn't a concern bc 1k isn't much. FYI we usually rent a Yaris for this trip, so comfort and room should be similar and Yaris MPG we average 35mpg.

If we take the C:
    *Save $$ on gas (approx. $30 @48mpg avg @$4/gal)
    *Save $$ on rental (Yaris rental total is $165 for entire trip including insurance)
    *Don't have to worry about picking up/dropping off rental car
    *We have a hitch & bike rack, so we can bring our bikes with us.
    *Create memories with our beloved car(y)

*We would have to buy $70 vinyl bra to prevent rock chips/bug splatters

If we take the rental:
    *Don't worry about cosmetic damages done to our own vehicle (mainly rock chips)
    *If there are any physical damages done to rental car, we don't have to deal with it.
    *Our destination is an area with high crime rate, so we don't wanna deal with possible theft or vandalism by parking our car on public streets.
    *Dont have to worry about cleaning up after a road trip (food, snacks, drinks, maybe some mud from hiking.)
    *We can still take our bikes, but using a less secure strap-on bike rack.

My wife is really anal about keeping the car in pristine condition. I think sometimes she is too protective of it, but at the same time, the rental option isn't too much more in costs considering relatively low rates, not too bad mpg, and considering we would have to buy the bra if we take our C. I think all in all, the rental would cost me approx $125 over taking the C ($30 fuel difference + $165 rental costs - $70 bra).

Any suggestions or insight welcomed.

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There's a saying among married people... when the wife's happy... everyone's happy.

xs650 and Sunkiss'd C like this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Happy wife, happy life.

If that's what she wants, that's what you want too. :)

If it were just me, I would just take the car. Why rent a car and bother with the extra insurance premium, lower fuel mileage, unfamiliar car in emergency situations, a car that has probably been abused by hundreds of previous drivers, etc.

You know your car, you maintain your car, you know what is done and what needs to be done. You know its limitations, you know its strengths. It is a no brainer. I drive my Prius thousands of miles in single trips with only being turned off for the 5 minutes to refuel, otherwise constant 25-30 hour drives at high speeds.

Keep in mind with the C, you have the smaller engine so your highway is more similar to a GenII than the GenIII with its bigger engine. Highway driving, loaded with people and luggage at 80-100 miles per hour will net you closer to 42-45 mpg.

minkus and Sunkiss'd C like this.
  4. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    True, gotta keep the wife happy. As far as the mpg, the cost difference isn't enough of an argument.

I usually rent from Hertz near me bc they always have the lowest rates w/ my AAA discount. One thing that sucked was one time they gave me a Yaris with a severe alignment problem. It rode fine, but the steering wheel was misaligned by nearly 90 degrees! Was definitely annoying driving a total of 16 hours like that.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was making sense until you said you will rent a Yaris in place of your C. It would make more sense to rent if you needed something different for the trip (bigger car or SUV). Otherwise what's the point unless you wanted to not put extra miles on the C, especially if you're leasing it. You say you would have to buy a bra for the car - it seems to me you may want to do that anyway? As far as crime goes at your destination, if a theft or vandalism of the rental occurs, I think the hassle of dealing with that will be just as bad as dealing with it on your own car. I agree that you won't have to deal with any physical damages to a rental car, but they won't let you just walk away without paying for it.

minkus likes this.
  6. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I initially worried about putting miles on my new C (only about 250 miles round-trip every few weeks), but then I realized that I bought the C to save on gas, and the main limitation wear & tear-wise, the traction battery, seemed to be more limited by time than miles, and it doesn't suffer much wear & tear on the highway. Especially if the alternative is paying to rent basically the same car plus spending more on gas, I'd just take the c. If you're worried enough about bugs/scratches to buy the bra for the trip, you'd benefit from having one anyway, and it'll last longer than just the trip.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Plus it's probably a wash on price anyhow. Get the chip guard and install or rent a car and pay the extra in gas for 2 fill ups.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Driving your car makes the most sense in several ways, but it's not a big financial difference considering total trip and vehicle costs. It sounds like it makes more of a difference to your wife than it does to you, so the smart thing to do would be to graciously do it her way

If you want to try one more discussion you could tell that if you buy a bra, you will still have it to protect your car after the trip. If the long haul, fewer front end chips if you buy a bra for your car than if you didn't drive your car on that one trip.

9. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yes it would pretty much be the same car in terms of size. Just my wife and I. We own, no lease.
    True for both.
    Hertz' waiver does not require me to pay for any damages.

That's interesting, have never heard that battery is more time sensitive than mileage sensitive.

I'm thinking a bra is a good investment. I rarely go on long trips, maybe once or twice a year, but that makes the bra an even better option bc I don't want a bra on long term anyhow.

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree with most of what you say, but I needed to convince the wife, who sometimes follow a different logic than I.

10. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

My basis for that was mostly reports of Prius taxis getting 300-400K miles in just a few years on the same battery, and the batteries currently failing seem to be mostly those from the 1st generation Prius. The other main battery enemy seems to be hot climates.

11. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If it does hold any truth, then its encouraging since while I don't drive as much as taxi drivers do, I easily go over the laughable 12k annual miles.

ztanos and minkus like this.
  12. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no way I would enjoy a roadtrip in a tiny Yaris. Typically, you can get pretty nice rates going through Priceline for a rental car, and usually the better deals are for the better cars. If traveling in your car requires so many accessories, it is best to just rent a car.

13. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It's just the wife and I. We're a young couple with no back or joint issues, so a Yaris is fine for us. We go for the lowest rates avail for rentals, and Priceline as well as other services just cannot beat our local Hertz + AAA rates + random AAA promotional discounts.

If we take the C, we only need to buy a bra. We already have a hitch with bike rack to mount on. We also already have a strap-on trunk mount bike rack as well in case we do take the rental.

minkus likes this.
  14. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I too agree that it made sense until you mentioned renting a Yaris.

Then again I hear wives don't make sense often. But what do I know. I'm a guy

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  15. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Why would two people traveling 450 miles each way need anything larger than the c?

Also, unless "better cars" are cheaper than renting a Yaris, they're going to end up costing more because they'll use more gas.

16. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There have been times that I have lied to my other half, telling him that I don't mind driving, that I love driving this car in the city, it won't be so bad. Yeah...it was bad. We aren't old, I travel around for Marathons and now he is the whining one. It is amazing how small and uncomfortable a car can be when you aren't the only one in it. :) I can handle a 12 hour drive better than he can a three hour drive and I am the one running 26.2 miles and driving afterwards! ;) Check out your deals, you can get much better rates outside of AAA. But, in the end it is up to you. You could rent the regular Prius.

17. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have scraped the internet the last couple of times we rented, but was unsuccessful in finding better rates ($17+$9 insurance/day during March 2013). But I will take your word and search again this time around. We've taken a Yaris and a Chevy Malibu on the same trip. I was driver both times, and while the loaded Malibu had leather, power seats, and more room, I was actually more comfortable in the Yaris. Perhaps I just prefer a smaller cozier cabin. I've looked into the regular Prius, but it's actually rare to come by as a rental in my area without going through Toyota Rental.
    I appreciate your feedback.

18. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Bigger cars tend to use more gas and cost more to insure. $15/day vs $9/day @ Hertz I believe.

19. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    99% of the time, your own car insurance and/or credit card covers the insurance. Never get it from the rental company. I am surprised at how many hybrid rentals are available, even in smaller markets. I have noticed C-Max, Ford Fusion Hybrids, Kia Optima Hybrids as well as the Prius available more and more. The Kia Optima isn't bad at all, even the gas version. I am not a Chevy fan. It is painful to drive regular cars most of the time now. I loved the Ford Escape and the Ford Edge, but the gas mileage wasn't so great. They were so comfortable though. Check the tips on Clark Howards website (under travel). He knows a lot of tricks to getting a great deal. The first trip we took in my Prius, my other half didn't see the curb in the parking garage that marks the spot and dragged the bumper across it, and I needed to get the bumper replaced. I had my car a month. So, that is part of the reason I am so passionate about driving a car you like so much cross country. If a Yaris is your cup of tea, go for it, but I liked having more space than I was used to.

20. Sunkiss'd C

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I checked Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, and Expedia. The best offer is $10 lower than Hertz, but I have to pick up at the airport. I think when I'm playing with +/- $10, it becomes irrelevant to my issue at hand.

I like to get their insurance bc I don't want my insurance involved (and its a $1,000 deductible :eek:).

I don't know why its so rare here in my area to find a hybrid rental, but it's like hit and miss; most are rented out long term to those who are going through insurance claims, or are on business trips. So it's not readily available to weekend warriors such as myself. Not to mention that rental rates for hybrids are so high at some places that I begin to wonder if it's a financially sound decision.