1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road trip, low speeds not a option.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Techchild, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Techchild

Techchild My other car is a convertible

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey every one I haven't posted for a long time, I have lurked but just never needed to post something. Any ways I will be driving my moms prius down to disney from olathe ks, it will be around 1,200 miles. The prius has already made this trip once when we moved here and we averaged between 50 and 60 mpg on the way up. Recently she has only been averaging 36 mpg all city driving and I don't know if this will effect highway mpg. It's a 2007 with around 25,000 miles on it I do believe.

I know the biggest mpg decrease comes from speed but going 65mph is just not going to work with such a long drive. I will be averaging around 80mph on the way down. What are some other things I can do, I know I can run higher psi what would you suggest? Any aero mods I can do for cheap? I'm not afraid of taping up seams or taping on some cardboard lol. I wish it was a honda like I'm used to working on just bump up the ignition timing a few degrees run a bit hotter spark plug and cardboard up part of the grill and just let it do it's thing lol.

Any ways going to be leaving friday so any tips would be great.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, your 12v battery might be going - typically, reduced gas mileage is a symptom. I'm assuming that (since you have a del sol and you're talking about engine timings) you've checked the alignment on all 4 wheels?

I drive 70mph speed limit highways all the time and I get like 42-45.

BTW, know any of the Evo guys in Olathe?

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. Bump tire PSI to max on sidewall or 2psi below the max.

2. Drop a bottle of Chevron Techron CONCENTRATE (not Progard from Costco)

3. Shell 87

4. Unload as much weigh as you don't need... pretty much junk

5. Start exercising, shave a few lbs.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure but then you would get even worse mileage no matter what you did so why bother. :)

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a/c usage is probably your biggest worry. 2nd would be the tire psi. (as others have mentioned).

a/c is a delicate balance... you have to keep that hybrid battery cool. if you use windows, it still gets warm by the battery area IMO. try keeping the thermostat above 74.

get tint. hehe (a future plan of mine) it helps with the heat. it is laminate so maybe it helps in the cold too?... shrug.

6. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you wanted to keep a 2007 Prius at speeds of 75 to 80MPH, without taking a big hit on MPG's.

I would keep tire pressure at 42psi (Front) & 40psi (Rear), keep the A/C low, keep overall weight low, and use a bottle of fuel system cleaner.

Check your 12volt battery, get an oil change, and balance your tires with possible alignment..did I forget something?

7. punawele

punawele New Member

I had 12 volt battery replaced and ever since my mileage has been 30 to 33 mpg's. Tire pressure 38 front, 36 rear with new Michelin tires. Taking in to dealer tomorrow, thought computer may not have been calibrated correctly when reset after battery replacement. What should I ask the dealer to do? Nothing extra in car. The bottle of fuel cleaner sounds like a good thing.

8. Techchild

Techchild My other car is a convertible

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I average right around the same mpg city driving as my mom's prius does in my four door civic actually. I would take my car but I just don't want to have to deal with all the joys of a lowered civic with a loud exhaust for 1,200 miles lol. I usually have the ac set around 80 on auto. Would taping up some stuff up front help out? Thinking of putting some painters tape around were the hood meets the fenders/bumper

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it really a fair comparison considering something is wrong with your mom's car? Your Civic could never match her car's MPG numbers if both cars were in proper working condition. :)

No, taping up the fender gaps and such will have no quantifiable affect. The only time this is even remotely quantifiable is on very high speed race cars trapping 160mph+ and even then it is rare to see racers taping up the gaps. I've seen plenty of street cars doing it at the track and it is quite laughable to see a taped up car trapping 100mph or less in the 1/4. I'd say forget the tape and keep your dignity intact. :)

The other suggestions people have listed are what I would recommend i.e. tire pressure, reduced weight, etc.. Most importantly, just drive safe. No amount of time or fuel savings is worth you getting hurt mate. :)

10. Kaye

Kaye New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After always reading that the Prius MPG is lower on highway and at higher speeds I was surprised when I drove to my hometown a day after I got mine and averaged 54.2 mpg. I had no idea what to expect, and I used cruise control (which in my other car enjoyed speeding up.. and then slowing down.. and then speeding up.. you get the picture). So, my suggestion.. cruise control! Be safe!

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try driving 72 - 73 mph instead of 80 mph. I realize that it will take longer and that you'd prefer to drive 80 mph vs a slower speed. But after doing the other items (inflating tires, removing excess weight, moderating A/C usage) the one last thing that you can do to help is to lower your speed.

How many days do you plan on driving to make this trip? How many breaks? For how long? How many hours of driving per day? I'm assuming you plan on driving this in 2 days, probably 10 hours of driving time (over a 12 hour time span) the first day and the remainder on day 2. So, ideally, you'd only spend 15 hours of actual driving at 80 mph. 16 hours of driving at 75 mph. 16 hours and 30 minutes driving at 72 - 73 mph.

Yes, that's a whole 1.5 hours. And for your trouble, you won't be worried about highway patrol cars and planes, radar, etc. You'll be moving well with traffic, as opposed to having to slalom between cars that "are in your way" which will cause you aggravation. You'll also get about 10% better gas mileage than at 80 mph.

Just saying.....

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe the only problem with Mom's car is that it is driven on very short trips.

Align the wheels & pump up the tires is about all you can do.

13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would check the alignment.

14. tburnham316

tburnham316 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok - it is Sept 2. How was the trip ?
    I live outside of Wichita - similar area that you are from. I can tell you after returning from a 4K trip that KS is part of the problem. I used to blame it on the wind. I drove through the mountains in TN and GA with A/C and cruise control and exceeded 50 mpg with speeds from 75-85; which I have never been able to do in KS.

So if you have not left on your trip yet ? I would --
    tire pressure, fuel system cleaner ($8 Wal-Mart- white metal can- cant remember the name -- but the only white metal can there is - my brother uses it in on jet planes - add to fuel tank), do a search here and Clean the throttle plate and EGR sensor - I used EGR electrical sensor cleaner on both parts - read the warnings! - and I replaced my air filter. Good Luck