1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Trip Results

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qbee42, Oct 10, 2006.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

We just got back from a 1400 mile road trip down to Eastern Kentucky to do some rock climbing. I'll share a few thoughts and observations about how the Prius performed:

1) Capacity
    We had her loaded with three adults, luggage, and lots of rock climbing gear. The gear and luggage all fit in the hatch area, so we had the entire seating area available for people and loose items. At no time did it feel crowded.

2) Performance
    The trip was a mix of highway and mountain roads, often hilly but never long mountain grades like you get out West. The Prius never felt under-powered. Highway driving was pleasant, with plenty of speed left for lane changes, and merging. The engine races on the steeper grades, but it's just one of the Prius quirks that you get used to.

3) Nav System
    We have the integrated Nav System. It was a great help, as would be any GPS Nav. For highway driving, I love the split screen showing showing lanes and exits. It's a great help to have advanced warning of upcoming turns. My wife and I used to get a little snippy over map reading and navigation, but not with the Nav System, so it makes traveling easier. I also loaded all of the climbing crags into the Nav as "My Places", so we didn't have to do a lot of hunting around to find our climbing spots. I did notice that the system did a lot of dead reckoning in the gorge area, since the GPS was often at a loss to see satellites. This produced some noticeable position errors with all of the twisting and turning in the roads.

4) Tires
    We have the stock Integrity tires. In the 5000 miles of driving before this trip, I haven't had any real problems with them. That's not to say that they are great tires, just that they have worked okay. On the way down, we hit a lot of rain and wind going into Ohio, and for the first time with our Prius I experienced a squirrelly feeling with control, which caused me to back down a bit on speed. On the other hand, two SUVs going the other way hydroplaned off the road and into the median, so there must have been a lot of water.

Our second tire issue came with a steep gravel road leading from our cabin. It had loose crushed rock and lots of ruts. The Prius couldn't make it up the hill at slow speed. I had to get a running start and bounce thorough the ruts, then hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor as the traction control cycled on and off, going "rump, rump, rump" as the tires gripped, threw gravel, stopped, and gripped again. I suspect better tires would have helped. A friend with a Ford Focus was able to do the road with no problem.

5) Seats
    Much has been said about the comfort of Prius seats; some in favor and some against. I suspect it has a lot to do with anatomy. We drove 13 hours home in one day without any discomfort, and this after four days of heavy rock climbing and hiking. We find the seats very comfortable, but then I am 5'7" and 140 lb, and my two climbing partners are even shorter. It may be taller people that have issues with thigh support and such.

6) Mileage
    54.6 mpg for the first half of the trip, including the twisty local roads; 49.8 mpg coming home. It was much colder on the homeward leg. That's not too bad for heavily loaded highway driving using air conditioning for much of the trip. I'm happy with it.

7) Conclusions
    The Prius is a great vehicle. We were extremely happy with it in all respects, except perhaps with the loose gravel on the steep road. I'm looking forward to trying that hill again with better tires.

Tom

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great review~! Mind if i steal the format to output my experience?

September '06 / 1,300 miles roundtrip California / A/C on 90% of the time

1) Capacity
    I was traveling by myself, but from my experience the Prius has difficulty pushing itself with 4 bodies inside. Let alone, 4 bodies plus luggage. In my opinion, this car will drive OK with 2 bodies and luggage. Any more and you will feel your car gasp for power.

2) Performance
    Surprisingly outstanding even when driving over the Tioga Pass (9945ft elevation + 30 degrees) or around Death Valley's 110degree weather. Reliable performance under all weathers. I did wish my car had more kick in the mountains, but then again this is not a sports car.

3) Nav System
    I have an aftermarket unit so this doesn't apply to Toyota nav owners. My Pioneer nav worked flawlessly in all elevations (from -282ft to 9945ft).

4) Tires
    Integrities are a shame. They are acceptable if you are on a dry road and make turns at the posted speed limits, but if you are like me and like to do some spirited canyon driving then you are at risk. I've even taken them on dirt roads (around Death Valley) and they of course loose traction every second or so.... obviously these are city tires.
    Integrities are absolutely unacceptable in rain and snow; it's like signing your death. Upgrade ASAP people.

5) Seats
    Unlike the guy above I did experience discomfort on long driving days. I'm 5'11" 180lbs so he guessed right; some taller people do have negatives.

6) Mileage
    You wouldn't believe me if i told you that i averaged 45mpg thru 9945ft elevation in a 50mile stretch, would you? Well, i did.. lots of downhill cruising. I'm actually shocked at this because i averaged 51mpg on continously flat terrain. God I love this car.

7) Conclusions
    This car is a great roadtrip vehicle for people of small to medium statue, carrying 1-2 bodies with luggage, and around flat to hilly terrain. I wouldn't recommend you to take up 4 bodies + luggage and tackle the Sierra Nevadas; unless you work for Motor Trend and need to suffocate cars. I guess this review is more performance-biased so someone post a less biased review...