1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road Trip Stats

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by geeter, Jun 16, 2010.

1. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife and I drove last weekend from Chicago to London, ON and the local area. We put on 1190 miles from start to finish (I have had the Prius for just over 6 weeks).

I didn't calculated my MPG, as I filled up with a couple of litres in Canada to avoid paying significantly more for a tank (95 cents a litre, I know, we Americans have super cheap gas). The MFD calcualted 54.4 for the trip, so given my history of -3 mpg on all previoustanks, I put myself just above 51 MPG for the trip.

I drove at 70-75 MPH on the highway, and used a fair amount of cruise control. I was really impressed with the highway mileage, as I assumed the Prius would suffer in such conditions.

I also found the car to pretty comfortable. My neck was a little sore, but that is because I hogged all the driving :D.

We also had plenty of room for our gear and purchases, and fit everything in the hatch with the toneau cover. It was great.

A special thanks goes out to Dan bo for his recommendations in the London area.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This should not stop you from calculating MPG at the post-trip fillup.

3. tzh

tzh Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for sharing.
    My wife and I are planning for a trip sometime this summer. The A3 definitely stays at home :)

4. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used to drive a MKV GTI with DSG......

I don't think I would have done better than 28 MPG for the same driving. I used to road trip in it all the time, and only once did I break 33 MPG going 70 MPH. So yeah, take the Prius!

5. Dan bo

Dan bo Prius Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're at about 10 weeks now.

tisk tisk .... you can bet I will be filling up when I come your way :D

I'll still happily take the 95 cent a litre over what our fellow Prius drivers have to cough up across the pond. :eek:

very respectable.

We haven't done more then 500kms in one shot yet, but agree with your findings, will be going up to Timmins at some point this summer and that will give a good indication how ours does on the highway (about 850kms one way).

Yes so far I'm pretty impressed with the amount of room in this thing.

You are very Welcome sir!! ... happy that you enjoyed the drive and our little part of the map.