1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

road trip!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 24, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    We are hitting the road for 9 days Driving to disneyland ( gary thank you berry much for your generous offer!! Will definitely keep it in mind for next time) From washington state. Will also be visiting california adventures Legoland Seaworld in san diego The hearst castle And trees of mystery.

We will be Mostly on the california and oregon coast And it may have time for an additional stop so looking for suggestions on something relatively cheap that we can do in half a day.

Any suggestions here?

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love the Oregon coast!

Hug beach is just south of Seaside... watch for it. If the tide is out, walk North up the beach around the point to see the waterfall. :)

DH just mentioned Tillamuck. Do the factory tour.

I love all of the coast.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hug Beach? That's right before Conception Pass, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I thought Jedediah Smith park was very nice, and 101 was a fun road. Well, at least on a bicycle. I suppose it depends what you're driving.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are going to go down the Northern California Coast on Hwy 1, then a 1/2 Skunk train ride out of Fort Bragg is nice. It slowly goes into the redwoods for about 90 minutes, stops out in the Forest for about 30 minutes at Northspur, then returns to Fort Bragg. 4 hours total. Northspur is an open air lunch place/souvenir shop at a beautiful place out in the Redwoods.
    The Skunk Train Fort Bragg and Willits California

If you will be going down Highway 101 in that area you can take the train from Willits but I would advise skipping the Willits train ride. Most of the ride from the Willits end is over not particularly attractive dry grass hills.

Highway 1 is also by far the more scenic route. Headed south it starts in Legget, CA which also has a drive through tree.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A couple of freebies. About 30 miles south of Eureka you can go to Ferndale, about 7 miles off 101 toward the Pacific. Ferndale is a quaint little victorian town with an original looking downtown area. The are several shops that you wife is bound to find something in, a couple small museums and a neat looking old main street. You need to see the Kinetic Sculpture Museum in Ferndale. Any children with you will like that one.

Not much further down Highway 101 and a bit south of Fortuna is the start of "The Avenue of the Giants". It parallels 101 for about 20 miles and goes through some beautiful redwood groves. They have very good park service visitor center. Avenue of the giants won't add 30 minutes driving time but I expect you will find reasons to stop and look.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Monterey Bay Aquarium

Carmel-by-the-sea is a nice little community if you have time and want to stretch your legs at the beach.

Is there time for Yosemite?

7. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Rene; we definitely will do tillamook. Been there several times. Must not do too many samples!!

Would love to do yosemite but not enough time to do it justice. The train rides we will investigate as four hours would be perfect for time

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Rene; we definitely will do tillamook. Been there several times. Must not do too many samples!!

Would love to do yosemite but not enough time to do it justice. The train rides we will investigate as four hours would be perfect for time

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If on the way from Washington to SoCal you pass by New England (hey, that's the kind of thing I would have done in my pre-GPS years. And not on purpose) stop by and say hi!

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Geographically challenged, huh? You're not my ex, are you?

I'll tell a funny story on him: He (we) lived in Minnesota. He was driving down to Texas to see our son's graduation from Basic Training. He mentioned that he was considering stopping in Reno on his way back to MN. :huh:

I asked him just how much of a side trip he was planning on. He was totally convinced that it was just a minor side trip, less than a day, to get to Reno from the route from TX to MN.

He was a schmutz.