1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roadshow: Many reasons to drive the speed limit: better mileage, support troops

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Jun 26, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is absolutely stupid. Driving the speed limit has nothing to do with supporting the troops.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But it will prevent terrorism!!

:p

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

You can become a law abbiding citizen and save gas plus if you go slow enough people just might see its a TOYOTA PRIUS and not a GM man the list goes on and on :p

5. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 26 2007, 04:19 PM) [snapback]468487[/snapback]</div>
    But, it won't help with run-on sentences... :D

6. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I agree. If you drive 75 mph in a 75 mph zone, you will save more gas than if you drive 80 or 85 mph in a 75mph zone.

The same goes for driving 55 in a 55mph zone.

Or for that matter, driving 60 mph in a 65 mph zone. I achieved 54 mpg on the highway in my 2002 Prius Classic by driving 60 mph vs. 65 mph.

So, use less gasoline, reduce amount of fuel being imported, reduce dependency on foreign oil; in that you have supported the troops by creating a lessened dependency (on oil).

7. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys are missing the big picture here, and that is our troops are not fighting in Iraq over oil. Drive as fast or slow as you want, but it won't make one bit of a difference to our troops.

Besides, what makes you think this will work? Boycotts of gas stations flop, so what makes this any different?

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

So you think the U.S. does not want Iraqi OIL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: can't stop laughing thanks
    Now that's funny I dont care who you are that's funny

yeah in a perfect world huh

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, if the US really wanted Iraq's oil, we would have taken it when we invaded the country. To date, that has not happened. In fact, oil production in Iraq has dropped by about 2 million barrels per day since the invasion. Oil fields are deteriorating for lack of maintenance, fires, accidents and lack of funds. Oil refineries that were looted in the first week of the war have yet to be repaired.

If this war is about oil, then why are oil prices at 20-year-high records with no relief in sight?

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

In fact, where are these facts coming from now.
    Were you there to see the oil fields not being repaired?
    I have a family member there still.
    Another member just returned and is headed back in 3 weeks for a turn-around tour.
    For what To watch the workers rebuild

DAMN you do not know it all.

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are other reasons for slowing down such as safety, less aggressive driving contributing to road rage, certainly less stress. "Keeping up with the flow" at 90mph hwy, 60mph city just isn't safe, absolutely no room for any error whatsoever, and with inevitable slowdowns along the way and traffic, not much time is saved anyway.

13. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 26 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]468560[/snapback]</div>
    I know I will just ask the KNOW it all SWANNY

yeah right your a legend in your own mind is all

hahahahahahaha
    Better yet, when they come back for good I will send them to YOU
    I bet the answer they give you will shut your pie hole

also do I have enough run on sentences for you yet TEACHER

hahahahahah

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 26 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]468560[/snapback]</div>
    Your link is not FACT it is only an editorial /OPINION

here is fact:
    [attachmentid=9253]

Attached Files:

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    priussoris,

Your constant use of ad hominem arguments is getting old. Instead of addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim, you instead choose to attack me personally. How can you possibly claim that I am a "know-it-all"? After all, I back up my assertions with fact and sources. You, on the other hand, merely provide anecdotes.

16. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 26 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]468560[/snapback]</div>

The article is from 2004....I know that according to the UN, Iraq was limited to around 2 million bpd so if Iraqi oil production is down 2 mil bpd then they are not producing any oil. This is of course false. The main problem is that the pipelines that go through Diyala' and Salah ad Din are wide open to attacks and go down almost every day. The local tribal chiefs are starting to work with the US ground forces and protecting the lines but in the mean time the oil must be shipped in trucks and the roads are a mess. The ieds are bad enough but the roads are falling apart or are already dirt. Last I read was production is somewhere around 2.2 mil bpd

http://zfacts.com/p/58.html
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/iraq.html
    From the DOE:
    Exports million bpd:
    Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb
    1.159 1.128 1.039 1.024 1.014

April 2007 May 2007
    2/01/2007 Production Production
    2.1 mil bpd 2.1 mil bpd

Hope this helps

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 26 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]468537[/snapback]</div>
    You have to stop being so correct. If we did fight this war for oil then why are we not just shipping it here to the US of A direct from Iraq? Why are oil prices soooo high? And if we fight wars for oil, why not just invade countries that are closer to us and easier to take on and defeat who do not like killing others and themselves like:

Canada? Venezuela (i think we would have signficant popular support here from the locals)? Think how much oil and gas we would save by invading countries so close to us - how much less greenhouse gasses would we produce :D

and even better..... if there are people here who think we fight wars just for oil why dont you guys get smart and prevent the neocon rage:
    1. lets us drill offshore here in the USA
    2. open up the gulf of mexico to drilling
    3. open up anwr to drilling
    4. give to your local coal-to-oil tech company
    5. build nuclear power plants

all of the above are easily available to you - each and everyone either alone or in any combination will surely help quench that neocon thirst for invading peaceloving, free, oil rich countries - especially those ones with religious tolerance, freedom and equality for women, and a central love of life.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 26 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]468537[/snapback]</div>
    Why didn't we just take the oil when we invaded Iraq? That's easy, because the invasion didn't go as planned. They didn't welcome us as liberators for more than a couple of months and then turned on us as the invaders we are. We didn't have enough troops to secure the country and the entire oil infrastructure was looted. Do you not remember the reports of all the control valves and computers that control the pipelines being stolen? We haven't been able to take the oil because the war has been a fiasco! Every time we get a pipeline going it is bombed and shutdown again.

If we don't care about oil and it was all about liberating the Iraqi people from a terrible dictator why was the Oil Ministry the only Iraqi government building we guarded in Baghdad during the first round of looting?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 27 2007, 07:40 AM) [snapback]468719[/snapback]</div>
    You may find it surprising that Chavez is very popular in Venezuela. Yes the former ruling elite hate him but the common man loves him. I don't think you will find much support there. Canada? You must be kidding. I don't know any Canadians that want to be the 51st state. Again, I doubt you'll find any support from the local population for your invasion.

Why are oil prices so high? That's easy, it's because the difference between world production and demand is only 1% to 2%. World oil production is peaking as we speak, so oil is only going up from here. Yes, it may go up and down for the next couple years as a field comes on and others go out but the trend will be up and it will be exponential. You can add Saudi Arabia to you list of oil producing countries who's production has peaked. (As reported by Al-Jazeera last fall to the great denials of the Saudi's)

This is why I don't support 1 - 3. These are just chasing yesterdays technology and postponing the inevitable.

I can support #4 but sorry, the coal and oil industries don't need donations, they have a good bit of money in the bank to make the transition to the future and with raising oil prices their accounts will only get fatter. Coal to gas still has a huge problem and that is CO2 that needs to be addressed.

I'm a big supporter of #5 but not the horribly inefficient nuclear plants we build now. We need to return to and continue to advance the technology of the 50's and 60's with breeder reactors that consume and transform the spent fuel. Only using 1% of the energy of nuclear fuel and then sealing it in a mountain is stupid beyond comprehension.

19. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 27 2007, 06:12 AM) [snapback]468705[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about personal attacks
    Who gives a f&%$@ ABOUT a run on sentence but you
    block me

For your facts they are not truley facts but opinions and they are outdated in the least.
    I have not personally attacked anyone here , but I will defend any of my realatives in the service.Who are fighting this losing battle because a Holy War in the Middle East will continue with us or without us there.
    And yes, We do want to control the oil .
    Fact from a Group of Special forces in letters written. the only thing they have to do what the Master and Chief say.

So BTW why dont you ask your realatives who are risking their lives WHY OIL IS SOOOO EXPENSIVE here ask a solder who has been there and done that.

20. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 27 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]468732[/snapback]</div>
    Your wish is my command...