1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roadside Emergency Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OH NOOOOOO!

It looks like the PriusChat database is heading for another crash . . .

Several Original Posts with no words and no views. :(

P.S. I AM NOT THE OP FOR THIS TOPIC, YET MY REPLY POST IS #1 :wacko:

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 11 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]524402[/snapback]</div>
    Damn. Now I'm going to wondering about this mysterious Staples deal with the free shipping all night! Or at least for the next five minutes.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Argh, 4th attempt at posting this thing.... $15 for a nice convenient small kit in a clean case.
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;storeId=10001

Roadside Emergency Tool Kit
    Be prepared for anything...anywhere you go.

• Set includes: insulated jumper cables, 10-piece socket set, slip-joint plier, Phillips and flathead screwdrivers and electrical tape
    • Also includes 12 assorted electric terminals and fuses, tire air pressure gauge and a pair of work gloves
    • A MapQuest® pocket road atlas of the United States, Canada and Mexico is enclosed to get you where you need to go
    • All components fit neatly in a 11 3/4" x 7" x 3" compartmented carry case, storing easily in your trunk or back seat
    [​IMG]

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks quite good eh.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As a confirmed tool junkie, my #1 rule is NEVER buy cheap tools, ever. I've busted too many knuckles when applying moderate force to cheap chrome that snaps in two, or deforms instead of cracking loose a tight bolt, to ever do anything with junk like this except to give it to the recyclers.

You also have to ask yourself, what are you gonna do by yourself at the side of the road, even if you have a complete set of Snap-On sockets? Without a maintenance manual or workbench, to say nothing of not having whatever replacement parts may be needed, you're going to look awfully silly standing helplessly by the side of the road with pieces of the engine in your hands when the tow truck you should have called in the first place finally arrives.

The best emergency tools are these: needle-nose Vice-Grips, blunt-nose Vice-Grips, a roll of duct tape, a coil of stiff wire, a long-shaft slot screwdriver (for use as a lever or prybar, not for taking screws out), and a plastic hammer. With these you have a fighting chance of clamping, taping or wiring whatever broke back together enough to get you to the nearest place proper repairs can be made. The screwdriver and hammer are to persuade deformed parts back into alignment (the plastic hammer having less chance of further shattering a damaged part than a metal hammer). If you need more than this to get going again, call a tow truck - the likelihood that a 12mm socket will be your salvation is extremely remote. Especially a CHEAP 12mm socket.

When it comes to the Prius, though, I don't think even my recommended kit is necessary. Breakdown of any kind is such a rare event that if it happens just call for a tow and save yourself possible additional expense from repairing what you bunged up trying to mend it yourself.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My breakdown kit is an RAA* Card and my mobile phone and the tools that come with the car. I have a full SnapOn rolling cabinet of tools in the shed. I'm an ex mechanic. I also hate cheap tools, they can doo more damage than they cost in rounded bolts and skin off knuckles. This little kit has got jumper leads and a pair of gloves in a nice box though.

*RAA is the Royal Automobile Association, a breakdown service among other things.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you hurry Woot.com has another kit for $8 + $5 shipping
    http://www.woot.com/

* Insulated Jumper Cables
    * Flat Head Screwdriver
    * Phillips Head Screwdriver