1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Robbed!--Never mind, I'm an idiot!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Aug 25, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, we live in a fairly rural area, down at the very end of a cul-du-sac in a good neighborhood. Very little non-neighbor traffic.

I have a small gas generator for emergencies that I keep outside under a car port and had about 3 or 4, 5-gallon cans of gas lined up near the generator under the car port. Someone looking from the road (about 100 yards from the car port) would notice the bright red cans, but you'd really have to be looking I think.

Now, I just noticed/became aware this morning that all my gas cans were gone. In hind site I'm pretty sure they've been gone for a couple of weeks as I can't remember seeing the gas cans out there other times, but it just didn't register that they were missing until today.

I'm kind of shocked/pissed, of course. But I guess I"m glad they didn't take anything else...the generator for instance. Haven't decided if I should report it to the cops or not...I'm sure I'll never get the cans or gas back and I'm sure they can't catch who did it...or at least can't prove they stole ours. But I don't know if it's important to report it for purposes of letting the cops look for a pattern...somehow I think they're not interested in a petty crime like this.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That has happened up here in our tiny village. The high price of gasoline is making people do really stupid things. One of my neighbors saw someone get out of a truck, grab a gas can from my neighbor's porch, get back in the truck, and drive away. Since he was there to see it, he called the police. It is petty theft, but it's the principle of the whole thing that bothered him. In this case the perpetrators were caught.

I would call the police. The information may help them, and if something else turns up missing you have the first report.

Tom

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, man. That really sucks, E. You're probably right that the police wouldn't necessarily investigate it, but it probably would be worthwhile to file a report anyway. As you said, there might be a pattern.

Or at least a broke Hummer driver.

4. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Call them and see. They might just blow it off, and attribute it to kids. You need a steel cabinet with locks for you cans and generator. That could be next.

How hard is to get to your yard from the back, might be looking that direction too.

I keep my stuff out in a shop, they get past the dogs they can help themselves. If they take something of value, I will call my insurance company. The gas I would chalk up to some one running out more than out right theft where I live.

I would report major theft.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would leave another can of gas out there, this time load it up with sugar!!!!!

When they use it it will screw up the carb or injectors.

I would also add a little corvus oil, that way as they burn it in their engine, it will smoke like a bandit, and make him VERY NOTICIBLE!!!

Don't get mad, get even!!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sucks, Evan!

I'd consider teaching them a REAL lesson, and put up solar. :)

7. jps000

jps000 No Exit

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To be honest, given what you had out there, a bunch of gas cans is nothing. To feel better about the whole thing, I'd say say to myself, man, you are that desperate for gas, take it.

The poor man gets screwed in this country, I ain't gonna mess up someone's carburetor over a bunch of gas...

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Then they will steal his photons!

Tom

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :sorry::embarassed:
    Ok, just went out to look....apparently I'm a little smarter than I thought...I hid/protected the cans under the same tarp as I use to cover the generator...totally forgot I'd done that. (the cans had been uncovered all winter).

So, nothing stolen, I'm embarrassed...but maybe I'm now aware that I need to chain down the generator at least.

To answer the other questions...No access to the back in any practical way...there is a road separated by a fence and some fairly dense trees/brush. A truely determined sole would go that way I guess if they wanted to be a little less conspicuous, but it would be a PITA for what they'd get.

There's a street view pic there too...you can see the reddish/brown car port way back behind our house. If you back out you can see that there's nothing but dense woods leading to a steep hillside. For all practical purposes there's only one way to access our property.

10. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing you didn't report it....otherwise you might have been arrested for stealing from yourself.

I guess this means your neighborhood is still safe.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Robbed!

Evan, you're getting old! I do this sort of thing all of the time. A good idea comes into my head, I take action, and it turns out I've done it already. I don't know how many times I've taken some useful item to our boat, looked about for a good place to store it, and once settled, discovered the same item already in that spot. I'm not that old - old age is going to be a bitch.

Tom

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Evan,

I am sorry to hear of this -- not just for the monetary loss, but moreso for the fact someone just helped themselves to your property without the politeness to say hello. My guess is that you'd be more than willing to share with someone who really needed some gasoline.

Two suggestions (or seconds, because I think they've been mentioned before):

1. If you are storing flammables, such as gasoline (or many paints), you should store them in a metal cabinet. This is really a safety issue. Locking the cabinet also is a safety precaution, especially if there are children around, but also it would deter the petty thief.
    2. You should report the theft. It is, after all, a theft. Perhaps it is just some kids thinking that this is an easy way to get gasoline. In that case, it would be better to have them caught now before they think this is a good and easy way to get what they want (without consequences). If it turns out to be someone absolutely desperate and without a place to turn, you may decide to help them and/or not press charges. If I were your neighbor, I'd like to know that you would report theft so that the police would be informed about the activity and looking for the person who may have done this.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

At least I can self prescribe my Alzheimer's meds!:eek:

14. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

If you can find the scripts.:D

15. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And an edit, of sorts:

OK. Don't report the theft.:rolleyes:

Still, please consider using a metal cabinet for storage. If the cans are large, then just try a metal cage.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. ;)
    And now that everybody knows where you live and where you hide your stuff...:)

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, glad I didn't place that call. The post a list of all the various police calls in the local paper (I think they leave out names and addresses), but some of them are pretty hilarious (ala Jay Leno)...this would have been one of those...hilarious to everyone but me that is!:eek:

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "Local doctor makes crank call to police; details at 11..."

19. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I grew up in a small town that had a weekly newspaper. I had it mailed to me when I went off to college. I'll never forget the day the guys on my floor got hold of the paper's police report section. There was a straight reprint of the local officer's write-up of the theft of pink flamingo lawn ornaments. Because of the town's size (and the obviousness of the flamingo(e)s), it was pretty clear who reported the theft.

And, yes, the same paper still prints the same reports.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!!!
    :ballchain::doh::roll: