1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rod through Engine Block 07 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SexyLexy863, Dec 1, 2014.

1. SexyLexy863

SexyLexy863 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other night I was going up the mountain and while going it started making a clicking noise..probably from no oil..We had been told from the dealership there was a small leak but nothing to worry about at the moment.We tested it and it wasn't leaking visibly but I guess with it getting cold out the hole got bigger and we didn't notice so all the oil leaked out as we were powering the lil car through the mountains..Needless to say on the cruise down it started shaking i saw some sparks and I think the rod went through my engine block and we broke down. It's completely dead. The car has right around 200,000 miles on it and has always been very well taken care of.I just traded my dad the car about 7 months ago for my 4-runner cause of gas prices..I moved across the country and of course have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS since day one. My question is..Would it be worth fixing it or just selling it for scrap ? I need help and would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    arghhh!!!!:eek: not much left after 200,000. you can have a low mile engine put in for under 2 grand, but what's gonna be next? have you done any other major work?

SexyLexy863 likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly...replace the vehicle. At that mileage you are throwing good money after bad even with a "used" motor.

4. SexyLexy863

SexyLexy863 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no other major work. My dad did mention something about getting something fixed when he originally got the car and of course he tells me this after i sign the title to it and am now stuck with having to buy another damn car.

But is $500 a good deal to scrap the car? I know everyone has their own opinion on this kinda stuff but I just feel like that is not enough. I really don't want to get ripped off and trying to get as much out of it as possible. the inside of it is in good condition and there are no other problems with the car.

#4 SexyLexy863, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That car will go straight to auction. You could put a used motor in, but all the other stuff they will charge you for will cost as well. Then there is the mileage you already have to consider as previously noted. You might find a member who will take it off your hands for parts if you have that kind of time. Sorry for your situation. My opinion stands, dump it and start over.

SexyLexy863 likes this.
  6. SexyLexy863

SexyLexy863 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might be worth more than $500. when you consider the cost of putting in a new motor, check out the kbb price of an '07 with 200,000 miles. also, see what's out there available to buy, and how that compares to what you will have to spend.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $500, I'd buy it. I can park it in my new vegas house

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I found a 2008 with 195749 miles for $5999 in North Jersey. IMO your lawn ornament is worth more than $500 but how much is it going to cost to replace the ICE?

If the car's been "nothing but problems" why keep it? There is an emotional cost as well. What are the negative emotions worth? Either sell it "as is" or replace the ICE & sell it.