1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rolling down hill

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fjpod, Sep 10, 2010.

1. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope this haven't been asked before, but...

Assuming traffic is not a problem, and you come to a long steep decline, and your SOC is a little low, will you get better regen simply gliding down the hill or applying slight braking?

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    depends what's at the bottom of the hill. if there's a stop sign, then gentle braking all the way down to come to a stop at the sign would be better than gliding down, picking up speed, and then having to brake hard (maxing out regen capabilities) at the stop sign.
    if at the bottom of the downgrade is an upgrade, then don't brake at all, and apply a tiny amount of throttle to cancel the natural regen.
    if at the bottom of the hill is a flat stretch, then glide without regen, unless you need to regen a little to control your speed, but keep your speed as high as the limit/situation allows.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For me a simple down hill on an overpass would regen to 7 bars most of the time at a speed from 50 down to 35.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The bigger question is why do you want regen? A low SOC is not necessarily a bad thing. Unless you have to stop at the bottom, it is more efficient to bank the energy as momentum than to put it into the battery; in other words, gliding is more efficient than regenerative braking.

To answer your original question, braking will produce more regeneration.

Tom

1 person likes this.