1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rolling Resistance Ratings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rangerdavid, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Anyone know where I can find the RR ratings for tires? Specifically the michelin Hydroedge? thanks

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dave,

The HE RR rating is about 0.01 (varies with size). The "Energy Saving" Michelin's (MXV4, LX4, etc.) seem to run about 10-15% lower RR at the same size. This is from the attached pdf file which is from 9/05 data.

I now run Nokian WR's which appear to have a lower RR (from my personal MPG data) than the MXV4+ they replaced.

JeffD

Attached Files:

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks Jeff,

I'm happy with the Hydroedge tires, but I made a mistake and purchased the 205 size, which is a wide tire and has really screwed my mileage by 6-10 mpg. I noticed the "Energy" MXV4 Plus is the only Michelin tire that has their "Green +" rating that comes in our OEM size, 185-65-15, so I'm thinking that after spring gets here, and things warm up to the point that I should be back to my 56 mpg ratings, if I'm not, I'm buying new tires and I'll just save these for winter time.

I just can't stand the mileage hit! I've worked too hard at getting my mileage up, and even my wife agrees with me, so that's the final clearance needed to buy a second set of tires.:cool:

Michelin was supposed to be coming out with some new LRR tires, but no word on those, maybe by springtime. Anyway, thanks Jeff. :D

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought Hydroedges last summer. They weren't my first choice; I was looking at other LRR options as the OEM tires wore down. But an unrepairable flat on a Saturday morning forced my hand.

I estimated a 5-10% MPG hit. Now with about 10K on them, I may have recovered some of that, but it's impossible to quantify. I also don't care for the road noise.

But the tread wear so far is excellent. I had the car in for a state inspection a couple of months ago, and I borrowed the tech's tread wear gauge to measure it. No measurable wear at all.

And you should find they handle considerably better than Integritys in both wet and dry conditions. You'll appreciate them if you're trying to conserve momentum descending one of your narrow mountain roads. ;) On my trip to Hybridfest in July, I traveled the back roads through the mountains of VA and WV at various times in weather conditions ranging from sunny to heavy rainfall. I was very impressed at how well they hugged the road.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dave,

Sorry, but the MXV4+ is no longer available in 185/65HR15 size. That's one reason I went looking for an alternate and found the Nokian WRs. Nokian also has the WRg2 which is a little less aggressive tread (one edge is the aggressive WR tread pattern and the other edge is more road oriented - will be a little quieter) and is also LRR.

JeffD

6. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

7. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

"Thank you for your interest in the Energy Saver tire.

This tire is still in the developmental stages in Europe. We have started
    installing these tires on a limited basis on Peugeot vehicles. There are no
    plans to introduce this tire in the United States. There are two tires
    lines being sold in the United States that have similar Technology; the
    Pilot HX MXM4 and the Latitude Tour HP."
    This is what Michelin's response was to my e-mail question on the Energy Saver. FishHawk

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Rolling Resistance Ratings : try this

Hi Smokey1,

Unfortunately that report is almost 5 years old now, and of course the data would be even older, since a report of that depth would take like 6 months to put together. Besides that they use replacement sized tires, which are apparently for cars that need replacement tires in late 2002. So the sizes are somewhat different than what is on cars today. Specifically they rate 185/70 - 14 tires, and no 15 inch tires at all. The Prius is my second car that had the 185/65-15 tires. So, this report can only be used a general guide. Due to the age of the report, it falls short as a general guide too, as many of the tires in the report are no longer made, and many newer tires are not included in the report.