1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rolls Royce EV Test Drive

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Apr 1, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First test drive of the Rolls Royce EV prototype.

BBC News - Driving the electric Rolls-Royce

I like the idea of induction charging - why hasn't it been taken up by other manufacturers? I understand even the GM EV1 had it. I also note from the article that the Rolls Royce EV has the largest battery pack in any EV. Does this mean that we're going from Gas Guzzlers to Electric Eaters or something similar?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How is "largest battery pack" measured? The BBC did not report any specs. Tesla's Model S pack appears to be most of the length & width of the car. It certainly is too large to fit under the bonnet.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV1 had an inductive paddle, which doubled as both a safety and convenience thing. I don't particularly want to waste 8% of the power going into the car (the charger itself will already be wasting that much or more), however, i can see a future for inductive charging at shopping centres, cinemas etc when you want to opportunity charge.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that's an idea. I wonder if there's an easy way to have the normal 'plug in' chargers with the car but an additional inductive charging system for when you park at the supermarket etc?

That way you get the benefit of a full, efficient charge at home but the convenience of the inductive charging when out and about? Who wants to mess around with plugs when you've just filled up your car with shopping/groceries? In a supermarket you'd also have the possibility of someone unplugging your charger (inadvertantly or not).

Is an additional inductive charger an expensive additional cost?

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One which can transfer the amount of energy needed to chagre a car, yes. The Roller actually has both options.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be a good idea, although it may mean one has to park head first if the charger is placed inside the parking space, close to the wall.

7. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    make the roadways one big inductive charger.

range problem solved

despite being absurd, it would probably cost a fraction of what we've spent on our oil wars.

8. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A