1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ron Paul - on the rise?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    His supporters announced yesterday that they had smashed Republican fundraising records by hauling in a total of $4.3 million (£2 million) for his campaign from more than 37,000 donors over the previous 24 hours.

See link.

I don't know much about the guy, but he certainly seems to be attracting a following.

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 7 2007, 03:00 AM) [snapback]536014[/snapback]</div>
    Hes a Republican against the Iraq war.
    Beyond that hes a fascist(libertarian).
    Meaning he supports no government regulations for corporations and no government benefit for citizens.
    Eliminate Social Security for starters.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 7 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]536025[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure where you're getting your information, but since when does a libertarian = a fascist??? They seem diametrically opposed to me.

Fascism:
    1: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
    2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality

Libertarian:
    1: an advocate of the doctrine of free will
    2 a: a person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action : a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 7 2007, 02:20 AM) [snapback]536025[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct on the first point.

You are incorrect on the second point. Libertarians are essentially the exact opposite of Fascist.

Libertarians are also opposed to regulation of citizens (Patriot Act, etc) and government benefits for corporations (Blackwater, oil companies, etc).

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    OK, Libertarians promote corporatism.
    No regulation for corporations means rule by corporations.

Mussolini: "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."

6. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For those of you who would actually like to find out a bit more about Ron Paul and his campaign, here is a link to a great video that briefly addresses a lot of what he is talking about: http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?d...0067898&hl=

The video is a bit lengthly (about an hour long), but well worth the time.

Please do the research yourself before passing judgment. Try not to base your opinions from those who believe fascism and libertarianism are one and the same. Ron Paul is a great man with unmatched character.

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 7 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]536612[/snapback]</div>
    As noted by another poster, libertarians are strongly against corporate welfare, which epitomizes the "merger of state and corporate power". Kind of government and industry scratching each other's backs.

While libertarians support free markets, I suspect most libertarians would find this sort of government-corporate merger to be extremely abhorrent.

Not sure where you get your info, but you should maybe do some more research...

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Nov 8 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]536620[/snapback]</div>
    I bet he wont tell you about how he wants free reign for corporations.Or how he will eliminate any government social programs that benefit citizens.Dept of Education,Dept of Labor Social Security ,Medicare etc.
    You better do some more investigating before you support him because he wont come out directly and tell you what he really stands for and Ron Paul probably doesnt even realize the consequences of what he proposes.A corporate run state.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 8 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]536624[/snapback]</div>
    Because I dont listen to their BS and think for myself.
    If you totally eliminate corporate regulation.Corporations will very soon control government and all citizens. After they've robbed everyone blind of course.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 7 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]536640[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak to Ron Paul, but doubt there are many libertarians in favor of a "corporate run state". They are in favor of a state with limited powers, but that as a number one priority, protects the liberty of the individual.

They also believe in limited government interference in free market activities -- while this helps the corporate entity that desires to operate in an unfettered regulatory environment, it hurts the "corporate run state" scenario, which depends on a strong payback system between government and corporate entities.

I think you've been watching a little too much Bill Moyers or something...

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 8 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]536643[/snapback]</div>
    No they arent in favor of a corporate run state ,but they dont have the intelligence to realize that eliminating all regulations will make that outcome inevitable.

11. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 7 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]536640[/snapback]</div>
    Not too likely in an unfettered marketplace. The businesses I hate most are those with monopoly power, such as my cable company. This is a regulated business that can get away with high prices and crappy service because they are protected by government. On the other hand, if I don't like my wireless phone provider I have at least 6 or 7 other options. The market typically regulates much more effectively than government can, when people vote with their dollars.

I'm not saying there is no role for government, but frequently well meaning regulations have the unintended (or intended) consequence of limiting consumer choice, stifling innovation, protecting entrenched interests, and driving prices higher. I suspect most libertarians would come out strongly against this sort of corporate-government "merger".

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Campaign Fund Used To Test Stolen Credit Cards

(CBS 11 News) CROWLEY Officials say thieves used a presidential campaign to rip people off.

Christine Horton of Crowley said her account was charged several times to support Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul.

"I had never even heard of him," she said. "I was like, 'Oh my God! Someone is stealing from me."

Monday the Paul campaign made history. They raised more than $4 million online in 24 hours from more than 36,000 contributors.

Frost Bank investigators discovered overseas thieves used Paul's Web site to test stolen cards with $5 contributions.

Five hundred credit card numbers were stolen from Frost Bank, but fraud management teams spotted the unauthorized charges and notified customers immediately.

The bank refunded money from nearly 100 customers and canceled all 500 credit cards.

"He's getting money, stolen money," said Horton. "Whether he's affiliated with it or not, I have no clue. But it's too fishy."

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 8 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]536645[/snapback]</div>
    Im not talking merger .Im taking about an inevitable coup by corporations if they have unchecked power.
    Do you not agree we need environmental regulations ?
    How about labor regulations or banking or securities trading,or product safety etc.
    Libertarians will eliminate all regulations and let the free market police itself.Thats BS.
    Corporations will rob us blind and literally rule.
    Citizens need government to protect us from corporations .

14. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 8 2007, 03:31 AM) [snapback]536651[/snapback]</div>
    Really? Is that all you got? That one has already been used and is old news. Pretty much impossible to find anything negative about the man so (predictably) it gets made up. Good one.

15. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 8 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]536652[/snapback]</div>
    Last time I looked at my paystub, it looked more like government was robbing me blind, not corporations. <_<

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Nov 8 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]536688[/snapback]</div>
    But it's not old. It was on the news like, two days ago. And it was on the local news here, not made up. So, deal with that. <_<

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "overseas thieves"? How are they determining this, and why is a
    site 100% concerned with domestic issues even allowing packets from
    offshore networks to reach it in the first place? Sounds like
    someone's IT department has a bit o' work to do.
    _H*

18. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 9 2007, 05:49 AM) [snapback]537172[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, it was on the news? Well shoot, in that case it must be true...

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does anyone know this guy isn't a marketing puppet, carefully
    constructed from the ground up to swing certain classes of votes?
    _H*

20. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 9 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]537235[/snapback]</div>
    Do yourself a favor and find out for yourself. It doesn't take long to learn what he is all about, i'm sure you are very familiar with Google. Educate yourself, and then once you have, make your own decision about who you think he is.

His positions and character have been rock steady for the last 30 years if not longer. That can not be said about any one else in Washington, let alone the other candidates. Regardless of your political views, you can not deny his integrity.

So yeah, to answer your question, anyone who has actually done their own research would probably agree that he is in fact, the real deal.

Here's a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul