1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof dent easily? Anyone tried soft racks?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by wstt, Feb 14, 2014.

1. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm thinking about getting some soft racks for putting some surfboards on the roof if i can't put them inside because of extra passengers.
    Has anyone tried soft racks on their Prius v?
    I know the weight and tie down pressure pushes right down on her center of the roof so I wouldn't want to dent the roof.
    Does anyone know if the roof dents easily?

(I have seen the roof rack threads here but those are for hard racks which don't store too easily in the trunk when not being used. Soft racks could be stored in the storage by the spare tire so they take up no room and weigh nothing. )

2. ja4fun

ja4fun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a set of these at home:

Rightline-Gear-PackRight-Car-Clip-Strap-Set-100610/

And was planning on putting a pad or pool noodle through the cord for the top of the car and then carry stuff on that.

I am also interested in these:

Malone-Auto-Racks-HandiRack-Inflatable-Universal-Roof-Top-Rack-and-Luggage-Carrier

3. Robert Vergara

Robert Vergara New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a similar question. I have a 60 pound canoe I want to use soft racks occasionally for a gen2. I am just wondering if the Prius roof will hold the weight. Does anyone know? If you don't know soft racks are not supported by the frame of a vehicle unlike racks made of metal.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can't say for sure about a V - although when I used my soft racks on the 2014 PiP with a 7' surfboard, it made so much noise, after 100 miles I pulled the board off the root and put it inside. The roof just would not stop vibrating. I've never used them since with the Prius.