1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

roof interior light in back seat won't turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Hannah Andersen, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Hannah Andersen

Hannah Andersen New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    2023 Prius Generation 5

The light in the back seat won't turn off. I have no idea what I pushed to turn it off. Will it drain my battery if I don't figure it out?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Check the little switches that turn the light on for the back door. One or the other may just simply be stuck.
    No, it won't run your battery down because as of about 5 years ago virtually all cars have technology that turns the lights out when people don't close the doors or in your case perhaps a stuck switch.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a small enough light that it shouldn't.

But is it both lights or just one? Perhaps you turned on the reading lights by accident. If so, press the left or right button to turn off. The centre button turns on/off both rear lights.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my Gen 3, I think there's also a switch on the second dome light itself. Does Gen 5 have that too? Make sure that's not set for always-on.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it wouldn't surprise me if it's something in the menu like so many cars these days, but idk.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Two odd things. One is that she says just a rear light. Two, she never said one way or the other if she figured it out.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. SupersonicPrius

SupersonicPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Up front the light is a haptic touch but in back the switches are physical buttons. I’d press them to see if that fixes it.

8. Uhcoustic

Uhcoustic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Any chance this is the proximity interior lighting that turns on when you stand near the car with the key fob? If you back maybe 10 feet away and wait a moment, does it fade away on its own?

9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just got home from the dealer with my brand new XSE prime and had the same damn thing happen in my driveway. Drove me nuts! A Google search later brought me right to this thread.

The rear seat overhead lights would not go off. I never even turned them on!!

Anyway, short story long it was some combination of the haptic door button on the front dome, light or the one right next to it. I tried pushing the buttons of the lights that were on, and that did nothing no matter what position they were in. Very odd. Oh well, it’s taken care of now and I got her plugged in for the night for the first charge at home ever.

10. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Look in the owner's manual under 'Interior Lights' to see what is supposed to happen.

In summary one of the switches for the front light is a master switch. If that is on, all the lights stay on. Once that is turned off, the individual switches for each of the lights work. Of course, if the master switch is under door control, you won't be able to deal with the individual rear light switches until you close the doors and wait until the front lights turn off, indicating that the master switch has turned off.