1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof molding coming off during car wash

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by metanewbie, Apr 10, 2023.

1. metanewbie

metanewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius C. The roof molding rubber strip on one side of my car (top of the roof) starts coming off during a car wash. I was wondering what I can put under there to keep it sticking (like a glue or silicon) that won’t harm the paint. Can you suggest any particular brands/models of glue or adhesive?

Thank you!

G Dog likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a pair of little metal tabs on both ends that get bent out of position, so you need to adjust them so they don't slip and cause lifting in the middle. As for glue, I've used a tiny bit of 5 minute epoxy on the tabs but have never tried to glue the strip down in the middle.

3. metanewbie

metanewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In this case, it doesn’t lift in the middle. I don’t see any tabs. This molding is on the roof and it seems to slide on. The rear part of the molding comes off and flops around.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, maybe PriusC is different than regular Prius... Main thing is get 'em real clean and ensure the fastener is working correctly and then use a tiny bit of epoxy. Not as big of a deal in the rear, it's when they come loose up front that you lose them on the freeway.

5. metanewbie

metanewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great advice. Thank you.

6. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What functions does it play anyway?

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is 3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive, 08061 made especially for the purpose..

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a decorative strip... Mostly needed to hide the welds that connects the various roof parts together... It helps to reduce cost of production.

Tesla has become famous for the world's largest metal presses that can take a giant slab of sheet metal and create nearly the entire car body in one massive thump of tens of thousands of pounds of pressure. This requires massive upfront cost, but in the long run is way cheaper than having a bunch of robots weld together a car body from separate pieces.