1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof & Pillar Rebar Damage & Rust Repair Options - Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cdgreg, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Long story short: About a year and a half ago a chunk of metal rebar dropped off a tractor trailer on the highway and launched towards my car hitting the driver's side windshield pillar and the roof. Recently, Toyota helped me replace the hybrid battery through goodwill, so at this point I plan to keep the car quite a few more years and would like to repair this at the lowest possible cost so it does not eventually rust completely through leading to rain leaking into the car. I went to four auto body repair places today, and gave them the following criteria:
    • I do not care about how it looks, I am not worried about resale, I already have 165,000 on the car, I just do not want holes to rust through in the next 3-4 years which will then lead to water getting into the car.
    Here were there responses:
    • Shop #1: Cost: $50 - Drop it off one day, he will polish (I think he said polish) the area, and then use touch up paint. He said this will really leave it all as is, but it will not rust through.
    • Shop #2: Cost: $600 - Remove windshield, metal work on the roof and pillar. Based on my criteria he can cut some corners with the only negative being 3-4 years from now based on sun fading, you may be able to tell the areas that were repaired/painted, as compared to original paint. 3 days of repairs.
    • Shop #3: Cost $974 - Remove windshield, metal work on roof and pillar. Based on my criteria, he will only paint the affected areas and then fade clear coat instead of newly painting the whole roof. 3-4 days of repairs.
    • Shop #4: Cost $1,390 - Remove windshield, metal work on roof and pillar. Insisted on repainting whole roof, not only a portion. 4 days of repairs.
    See attached pics, shop 2/3/4 are all pretty similar to the attached work quote, just the price difference based on the corner cutting with paint/clear coat.

Is Shop #1's idea too good to be true? My gut is saying go with Shop #2.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

#1 Cdgreg, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say that it is pretty rusted and it can't be sanded or ground out. Probably almost rusted through in the worst areas,thus the quotes including metal work to replace the areas that are rusted badly.

3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think shop 3 will be the best option. Shop 1 will require you to keep maintaining the rust. It might get worse. Regardless of price, make sure he fixes the rusted metal. Our gen 2's are already old and beat up; I wouldn't worry about the paint, as you could always touch it up yourself.

4. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You get what you pay for. Keep that in mind. You won't get anything from a body shop for 50.00. Either do it right or drive it as is. You should have taken care of the problem when the damaged occurred. The more rust, the higher the repair bill.