1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof rack on a 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Cas, May 4, 2009.

1. Cas

Cas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm thinking of buying a roof rack for my 2nd gen Prius. I've rented one from Thule last year together with a cargo box. I will be getting a 3rd gen Prius by October. Will a roof rack for 2nd gen fit on a 3rd gen Prius, so I can buy a rack without having to sell it come October?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only possible difference is the clips, which is a tiny portion of the overall rack cost. All the other components will be identical and transferable.

I'll being reporting on this in the next few weeks, since I will be doing exactly that with my rack... going from a 2004 to a 2010.

And yes, I'll be getting the Solar/Moonroof package. All that glass on top means more caution than usual (avoiding breaks rather than dents). Most likely, that will just involve laying down an excercise mat for protection during the connection process.

1 person likes this.
  3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    John, do you leave this rack permanently attached or does it come off when not in use to improve MPG?

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The rack comes off immediately after getting home. After all, I need all the improvement I can get. The Multi-Display only says 52.2 MPG right now. :)

Using the rack is what I'm really, really looking forward to. The worst part of kayak use is getting back to that roasting hot Prius after spending a relaxing paddle on a cool lake. But with the Solar and remote A/C, the situation will be quite different.

5. Cas

Cas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Dutch 2010 Prius brochure mentions you cannot get the two in combination, at least not the Toyota roof rack...

6. ONOKELP

ONOKELP New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    John,
    Thanks much for your quick responses to my previous inquiries.

I just read the posting where you state you remove the racks when you get home.....I didn't know they were that easy to remove.
    Are they truly easy to just put on and take off, afther they have been set-up/installed?
    If so, this would allow me to purch the solar roof option and still go surfing.

Thanks again,

Mike

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It only takes me a few minutes, despite the solar.

Here's thumbnails showing some detail...

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

The larger versions, along with more photos, are available on webpage 137 of my album.

8. seaside

seaside New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    John, how much total weight would you be comfortable carrying on your roof rack? It looks like your Old Town comes in just over 50 lbs, but I see that you have a setup to carry two? Do you foresee carrying 100+ lbs. on top?

--Pete

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Parking can be a problem too.

At the popular lakes, many of the trailer spots are hard to come by. But regular parking is still available. At hidden away lakes, there simply isn't room available for a trailer. So, the rack on top is a huge matter of convenience for me.

11. thorvald30

thorvald30 New Member

Model:
    V
    Just got this mail concerning a Thule Roof rack for my new 2010 Prius. Here are the parts recomended:

FOOT: 400XTR 400XT
    BAR: RB53 LB50
    FAIRING: 872XT 872XT
    WEIGHT LIMIT: 130LBS
    BARSPREAD: 27
    FIT TIPS: 36 (Aero), 60 (Aero and Square)
    ACCESSORIES: ALL (Except Canoe (Aero Only))
    FRONT LEFT FRONT RIGHT REAR LEFT REAR RIGHT
    BRACKETS: 329 329 329 329
    PADS: 18 18 18 18
    MEASUREMENTS:
    FRONT BAR FOOT PLACEMENT: 42†APART
    REAR BAR FOOT PLACEMENT: 40.75†APART
    FRONT BAR / FROM TOP OF WINDSHIELD TO FRONT OF FRONT FOOT: 12.5â€
    REAR BAR / FROM CENTER OF FRONT BAR TO CENTER OF REAR BAR: 27â€

Will this also fit my car with the moonroof/Solar roof?

:)

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It takes two feet. You should be able to fold it right behind your Prius, since the Prius is not a long car.

Tom

13. JonathanK

JonathanK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The manual for the 2010 recommends against installing a trailer hitch on the Prius, even for bicycle racks.

14. klide

klide New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried out the Yakima roof rack on my 2010 with sunroof, but found the "whistle" of the wind over it quite annoying. A bought a wind farer to reduce the whistle, but it would have landed on my sunroof (it literally would touch the sunroof, but for the clear protective rubber stickers they have you put on the car), so that was out. My next option is to try the windjammers, or give up and go for the rear mounted rack. I should let you know that the rack itself easily clears the sunroof, and that there is no interference if you don't mind the whistle.

Regarding taking the roof rack on and off...after the initial installation of the rack, it is an easy on, easy off process, just remember to keep the measuring tape handy.

1 person likes this.
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's strange. My wind diverter has protective FOAM stickers for itself, nothing goes on the car.

16. klide

klide New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An update...I ended up getting the Yakima set-up, and added two Windjammers--plastic, airplane-wing-shaped attachments that go around the bar. I have heard only a very minor whistle once, in high winds when moving slowly.

The set-up successfully carried my Cervelo P3 from Denver to Nashville, with no hassles.

17. katwoman

katwoman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    have you put a class 1 hitch on your prius and used the sports rig trailer? I am interested in this as I have two kayaks and would like to use the prius to transport them. Any idea on where I would attach the trailer hitch and if it would be safe to carry the trailer and two kayaks that weigh 90 lbs each?

Thanks

18. Willem

Willem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can install a hitch on a Prius and use it as you specify. There are several threads on this forum where people have had great experiences doing this. Of course, YMMV. If your warranty is expired, then there would be no issues in that regard.

Hitches are widely available on the web and range from $111 to $149 and up plus delivery and installation.

Hope this helps.

19. tzh

tzh Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So with the roof rack on you can't open the roof right?
    Thanks

20. trudeljb

trudeljb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am currently looking at getting a roof rack to carry my Cannondale CAAD 10 from FL up to NY. Can you please give me a list of the components that you had to buy and approx how much for the Yakima set up? I have a 2010 Prius, and the bike shop only had a Thule roof-rack set up to show me. Thanks in advance!