1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roof rack, seat covers & snow chain suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Glint, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Glint

Glint New Member

Hi all,

I’m waiting on delivery of a 06’ Package 7 Seaside Pearl with grey interior here in Arroyo Grande, California. While waiting, I figured I’ll start buying some accessories I’d like for my new Prius. Some things I’m looking for are a roof rack system, and seat covers for both the front and back seats.

I’d like the roof rack to be fairly easy to remove, so I can take it off and preserve my gas mileage when I don’t need it. I’d also like the rack system to be able to carry bikes, skis, and an extra storage compartment for when I do a long trip with the whole family and our dog.

The seat covers are for our dog. We take him on lots of hikes and beach runs, and he is usually dirty and/or wet when we get back in the car.

Oh, I forgot. I have one more thing I need to buy. Snow chains. Being a skier who lives in California, I know that when traveling in the Sierra’s, snow chains are required for even the smallest amount of snow on the ground. How well does a Prius with VSC deal with snow chains, and what kind should I buy?

I really appreciate any suggestions you all might have!

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

As far as the seat covers, I would think these

WetOkole

would be very good for dealing with a dirty dog. I don't have them yet, but they are on my list to get when I have the funds.

3. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glint,

I plan on checking out the Thule rack... but I have not found the time to go down to Rack Attack yet. I do not think this will be a perfect solution, but it is what I will probably go with. If you are in an area with a Rack Attack store... I have found them to be the most knowledgeable people for racks period. They carry Thule, Yakima, and a few other brands. I am standarized on Thule... but Yakima is equally good.

Regarding chains... I bought some standard diamond pattern chains. Check to make sure that the storage bag (not box) fits in the hidden area under the cargo area. That way they are out of the way. I bought mine from Les Schwab tire centers... and I also put an roadside emergency package under there as well.

For seat belts... make very sure they are designed with breakaway panels for your side impact airbags.

/Jim